No Ripe Figs This Year?

• 8 Replies

millimole

No Ripe Figs This Year?
« on: August 27, 2018, 11:44 »
My garden fig tree (Brown Turkey) is about 25 years old and normally produces huge quantities of figs.
This year I haven't had any ripe figs, and at the moment all I've got are lots of hard green fruitlets about the size of a small tomato (probably about the same number of fruitlets as I'd expect ripe figs in a normal year).
I've not done anything different this year - just the usual neglect. Could the hot dry weather we've had be the cause, or is it something else? Is it worth removing these as presumably they'll never ripen?
Two plots with The Leicester Permanent Society - still learning.

jaydig

Re: No Ripe Figs This Year?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 16:18 »
My Brown Turkey tree is absolutely laden with fruit, but, as you say, so far this year I've only had about three ripe ones.  The tree itself has grown twice as fast as usual, so I'll have to root prune it this year, I think, as well as giving it a good haircut in the winter.  Ever the optimist, I'm leaving the fruit on in case we get an extended autumn and a few more fruits manage to ripen.

Allan-25J

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 05:58 »
I was thinking about buying a fig tree earlier this year but the size of the fruit in the greengrocer put me off. Above your saying this year they are the size of small tomatoes,so how big is your fruit normally?

thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:18 »
Here, the 'beast from the East' caused last year's tiny fruit buds to drop off (the ones that usually grow and ripen this year) as well as some of the early opening leaves. It took a while to start growing again and the fruit buds grown this year are normally too late to grow to ripen in the same year in the UK :(
With the heatwave summer, a few of yours may just make it before it gets cold, fingers crossed!
I've given up and will just remove anything bigger than a pea, later in the year, as usual  ::)

Here's hoping for a better fig year in 2019!

Stewarty

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 22:35 »
Well   -   the 2 fig trees in our garden in Oxford have had there best ever year. Hundres of figs, many rpened already and rapidly consumed by 3 generations of our family And looks like lots more to come.  And, especially when it's warm, but also during the night, the odour is intoxicating...

Allan-25J

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 06:05 »
I was thinking about buying a fig tree earlier this year but the size of the fruit in the greengrocer put me off. Above your saying this year they are the size of small tomatoes,so how big is your fruit normally?

thanks

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 13:38 »
I think I'm missing out as well this year. I don't think mine will quite ripen in time, but at least the plant is getting established in it's corner🙂
IMG_0994.JPG

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 13:50 »
Ah, I can tell what the problem is with your fig, Nobbie - it's growing upside down!!  ;) ;) :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 18:42 »
Ah, I can tell what the problem is with your fig, Nobbie - it's growing upside down!!  ;) ;) :lol:

I moved to Australia :)

xx
Any tips for getting ripe figs?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 17, 2017, 16:20
by jambop
question
Figs

Started by iggyboy60 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 20:44
by Carrotcake
xx
Anyone know anything about Figs???

Started by lina on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 22:17
by tode
xx
Figs!!!!!!

Started by Kiki on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 21:11
by operabunny

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 49 queries.