Alarm calling over silly things :)

• 2 Replies

EnviroChick

Alarm calling over silly things :)
« on: April 11, 2014, 15:56 »
My girls have three triggers:

1) Airplanes: We live about 15-20 miles from the airport. Every now and again we'll have low-flying cessna flying overhead. Probably people out taking flying lessons and doing arial photgography and stuff. My 3 girls go berserk and start alarm calling whenever they fly over! They pipe down fairly quickly after it passes though.

2) The yard brush: It doesn't matter if it's just propped up against the shed or is I'm actually using it. They HATE the yard brush. Once it's in their line of sight, they start squawking and giving out like mad!

3) Towels: I have a few old mucky towels lying around the place, mostly for wiping up spillages in the garden or drying myself off before I go back in the house. I take them out to dry off their feeder and waterer after I've given them their weekly scrub. They don't do a full alarm call with the towels though, just a persistent 'cluck, cluck, cluck'!

Anybody else's girls have the same reaction to other ordinary non-threatening inanimate objects, or are my trio a bit more daft than most? :D

BabbyAnn

Re: Alarm calling over silly things :)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 16:05 »
The first day I brought my chickens home from the farm, I put them in the run and left them to settle down.  I was inside the house with the back door open when within 15 minutes there was an almightly raucous.  I couldn't believe it was a fox in my garden already but I went charging outside only to find nothing.  The girls would not shut up either ... having never had chickens before, I thought that this might be the usual chicken noise (instant worry about disturbing neighbours flashed up) when at the corner of my eye, I saw the neighbour's cat peeking from behind the polytunnel and he looked shell shocked and distinctly rattled with that "what the .... is that ?!"  :lol:

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Re: Alarm calling over silly things :)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 05:52 »
Mine kicked up a fuss when a cat was in sight - now they just do it anyway.  My rather horrible neighbour makes comments like 'its lke living in a farmyard' and I know they don't approve of me keeping chickens.  I have to admit it's bothering me even though I try not to let it.

My neighbour is a habitual moaner so can't do much about that.  The only solution I can think of is to let them sqwawk and get over my guilt!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

xx
The fox came calling . . .

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 15:20
by evie2
xx
Silly girls!

Started by uba on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 18:43
by uba
xx
Silly question I know but...

Started by ali2 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 22:59
by evie2
xx
I thought I was being silly

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 19:48
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 32 queries.