A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.

• 52 Replies

allotmentann

Re: A Few Odd Questions about some "common" veg.
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2015, 13:58 »
Lotusseed most of the big name supermarkets here stock marmite but it is usually tucked away in the section with other 'British' staples like marmalade, digestive biscuits and salad cream. I personally cannot taste a difference between gherkins and dill pickles other than the brine they are pickled in. The gherkins l ate in the UK always had some sugar in the brine. I can't eat the dill pickles here. Just vinegar and salt. Way too salty for me. Which makes no sense really as it has been pointed out to me that marmite is equally salty!
I think rhubarb is one of those foods that require a few attempts to get a taste for it. I miss it and it is not even worth trying to grow in this climate. I should think it would grow well in yours.
I confused everyone talking about pudding. I am honestly amazed that two countries speaking the same language should use so many different words for things or more confusingly the same words but they mean something totally different.

LotuSeed

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2015, 15:38 »
As I was preparing the rhubarb I kept thinking, "red celery, red celery" lol.
Haha yes! Pudding is cold, creamy dish, rather like yogurt, but not quite. I've had to do so much "translating" despite the fact the we're all speaking English! Lol. Took me forever to figure out that "rocket" is arugula. I decided to try growing a few fava, 'scuds me, broad beans, this year out of curiosity. I don't have high hope I'll like them (afraid they're gonna taste like lima beans) but I think the flowers are pretty lol.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 22:31 »
Have you moved over to the states recently allotmentann?

allotmentann

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 23:03 »
Have you moved over to the states recently allotmentann?
Yes, l have not been here a year yet. I am still getting used to how different things are here. There are some really strange things here. It is a bit like going back to the fifties. All businesses (except retail) seem to shut at five, so don't  have a car accident after five or on a weekend because your insurer won't be working. Forget comparison websites or changing energy supplier. Pay a fortune for broadband running slower than the old dial up. Everything is in feet and inches and yards and pounds and ounces and degrees Fahrenheit. (Actually l quite like most of the above!). Oh and people generally are far, far more polite. And of course it is sunny every single day. We had two frosts this winter and l have been in shorts since February. Killed all my seedlings by dessicating  them. Two hours without water and they are beyond reviving!
Lotusseed - l have mistakenly asked for coriander, aubergines and Courgettes in the supermarket (cilantro, egg plant and zucchini) and received funny looks when saying l needed some more vests (which are apparently waistcoats). :nowink:

LotuSeed

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2015, 01:08 »
I still am not sure what a "jumper" is. I think it means "sweatshirt" or maybe "sweater" but I really don't know 😯 we tend to drop the o in words and use "z's" instead of "s'". And don't forget that's pronounced "zee" not zed lol.
It's easier to change internet provider but don't bother trying to switch utility companies! Whenever I'm watching a non-US gardening video I have to translate from the metric system: not MORE math! lol Btw if you're in an area with a large Latino population, there's cilantro and culantro (similar but different). Coriander generally refers to the seeds of cilantro  :wacko:  Our climate here isn't nearly as warm as yours. Our winters are pretty cold, but our summers are hot. Sometimes it seems we skip spring altogether! It's supposed to be in the 80s all week! Sorry I don't know what that is in Celsius lol. Same language but very different cultures methinks.
Btw if the ground under you starts shakin' because of an earthquake, head for a doorway and stand there till it's over. (Completely serious about that one I'm afraid)

allotmentann

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 01:57 »
A jumper is indeed a sweater. And we had an earthquake at the weekend. I missed it! Now l have not come across culantro but l think there is quite a large Latino population. Everything is translated into Spanish anyway. I guess your climate is a little closer to the UK but probably with better summers.
The difference in culture is a lot greater than l expected. But it makes life fun.   :)

LotuSeed

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 03:10 »
It's amazing how much being exposed to another culture gives you a better sense of your own! And it does make life fun for sure.
Yes, Spanish language is everywhere and there is great diversity in that too.  ¡Poder comunicar, o por lo menos, comprenderlo es una gran ventaja!
If I recall correctly, I think the term "sweater" is derived from the poor, uncomfortable and hot, cramped and ventilation-free conditions under which, often immigrant, workers were subjected to (around late 1800s, early 1900s I think)  Hence the name sweatshop. Sweaters were the people who "employed" these laborers and subjected them to said conditions.
Oh and by the way, welcome to 'Murica! Lol

allotmentann

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2015, 12:36 »
Interesting derivation. I did not know that. But it certainly makes sense. I have not learned any Spanish yet but l am sure l will. Thanks for the welcome  :D

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.