bullying between two!

• 5 Replies

Nats

bullying between two!
« on: May 21, 2008, 17:27 »
Hi everyone -

Just a quick question...

I have two hens and the slightly younger one is a bully - feather pecking, etc, the other one. They're a couple weeks apart in age.

Is it worth following the usual advice (separate the bully) when there's only one other hen? Or should I do something different?

Apart from that, I was wondering what your favourite 'chicken behaviour' is! Mine has to be seeing them really enjoy a dirt-bath - they look so happy!

Thanks,

Nats

peggyprice

bullying between two!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 17:43 »
Try this http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/sundries1.html  Used it on Dorothy the egg eating fiend, worked a treat on the bullying (didn't stop the egg eating, that's why she now wears Bodger's glasses http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=17828  :!: )  

The anti peck ring means that though the hen can eat/drink normally she can't shut her beak on the other's feathers - means you can leave them to sort themselves out without worrying about damage, and with mine it meant that the younger one being bullied very quickly found her feet and stopped being so 'vulnerable'.
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Catt

bullying between two!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 18:55 »
Hiya

I am new to chickens, have only had mine (a bluebelle and a sussex white) about 4 weeks, but they are such a pleasure!! I too love seeing them dirt bath (although my other half doesn't agree as they have made a lovely dirt dip in the lawn!!) and also when I open the coop of a morning and they follow me out into the garden and take some corn from me, it has taken me until the weekend to get them to do this, and I was soo excited the first time they did it!! Sad aren't I!!! ha ha!!

woodburner

bullying between two!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 19:55 »
Nats, could you get a third bird?

My favourite has to be when they all flop down together in a patch of sunshine. They are sooooo chilled out!!  :lol:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Nats

bullying between two!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 09:38 »
Hi Woodburner,

Unfortunately we don't have enough room for 3 :(  Do you think that would have helped sort it out?

Thanks for your advice about the anti-pecking bit as well Peggyprice, it looks like the chicken on the website has a nose-piercing!

I'll monitor the situation and if it doesn't seem to be settling down I'll buy some.

Thanks again!

peggyprice

bullying between two!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 18:49 »
Quote from: "Nats"

Thanks for your advice about the anti-pecking bit as well Peggyprice, it looks like the chicken on the website has a nose-piercing!

I'll monitor the situation and if it doesn't seem to be settling down I'll buy some.

Thanks again!

Punk chick...  

is now intellectual chick ...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Personally I think the nose ring is the more stylish option ... more to the point, it worked on the feather pecking (but not the egg eating, hence the specs  :evil: )

xx
bullying

Started by tigerparisviolet on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 08:18
by tigerparisviolet
xx
Bullying

Started by rileyslab on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 14:14
by snow white
xx
Bullying

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:31
by Casey76
xx
Bullying Hen

Started by Marligirl2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 08:09
by Sassy

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 39 queries.