Nematodes?

• 10 Replies

born_2b_mad

• Experienced Member
Nematodes?
« on: January 10, 2012, 15:17 »
Suffered a bit with slug damage last year, and considered trying nematodes, but of course never got round to it!
Has anyone here tried them, and if so were they worth it?
Gardener's Diary Comments Here

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Nematodes?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 15:29 »
I think a few have, you could try a board search. ;) We've not used them here, purely as they seem expensive for something you have to re-apply quite frequently....  :unsure:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 16:30 »

I have found that Fertosan does the business where it comes to slugs better than anything else.  A powder you dilute then water on the required patch.

If Fertosan is no longer available, I'm sure there is something of a like product.  No sign of pellets so the birds dont go for them.     Cheers.     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 16:31 »
I use the Growing Success organic slug pellets and find them very effective, and they're harmless to all wildlife, pets, kids.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 17:25 »
I have tried nematodes at home on the raised beds and they were very effective, but expensive and have to be reapplied regularly.  My plot is heavy clay based soil and I tried some on there, but saw no difference. 

Now rely on wood ash in planting holes - works a treat in potato trenches, and wood ash in rings around susceptible plants.  I also use the Growing Success slug pellets, but use them under cloches or a few in a jam jar on its side to keep them dry and away from birds  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 18:16 »

I have found that Fertosan does the business where it comes to slugs better than anything else.  A powder you dilute then water on the required patch.

If Fertosan is no longer available, I'm sure there is something of a like product.  No sign of pellets so the birds dont go for them.     Cheers.     Tony.

Can't find any record of Fertosan on the licensed products database so I imagine it may not be available any longer.  However, the information I've found suggests that its active ingredient was aluminium sulphate, which is available for sale until May 2012 and licensed for use until May 2013.  Thereafter its licence expires according to the current information on the pesticides database.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:21 »
I use the Growing Success organic slug pellets and find them very effective, and they're harmless to all wildlife, pets, kids.

Quite surprised at this....I used them last spring/summer and came to the conclusion they were worse than useless,the slugs seemed to thrive on them.  Gave up in the end and lightly sprinkled the usual pellets down one evening and the next morning it was carnage...stricken slugs evertwhere :tongue2:
Vowed not to use the growing success pellets ever again :nowink:

born_2b_mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:35 »
Thanks for the comments guys, did a quick search on here and found no records which surprised me.
Checked the make of the pellets I had used last year, and it was the Growing Success Organic.
The main reason I mention the nematodes is that they work underground hunting out the slugs, where the majority tend to be, but you are more reliant on the slugs coming above ground for the pellets.
Think I will give it a shot on my spuds this year.

Also I didn't reaslise how expensive buying it was, just seen this
With prices starting from just £79228162514264337593543950335.00
HERE! :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 08:41 »
Thanks for the comments guys, did a quick search on here and found no records which surprised me.

Surprised me too, so I've just done a simple search and got 7 pages of results.

Perhaps you should try again!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

born_2b_mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50 »
Don't know what happened there, did it 3 times since you posted and got 3 different results of 1 page, 7 pages and 8 pages!! :wacko: :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:54 »
I'm consistently returning 7 pages, both with the simple and advanced search.

xx
nematodes

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 21:19
by devonbarmygardener
xx
nematodes

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 20:24
by RGManby
xx
Nematodes

Started by steampig on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2007, 14:59
by ytyynycefn
xx
Nematodes

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 17:29
by Dopey113

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 35 queries.