Treats for my chucks

• 19 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
Treats for my chucks
« on: July 17, 2012, 16:00 »
Can anyone give me some more ideas for treats for my 19 wk old chucks please?
They dont like ....mealworms,apple,tomato,celery,lettuce.
They only eat cherries and mixed corn.
Pull up a perch!!

splash101

Re: Treats for my chucks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 16:06 »
You may have to try them a few times with the same things, mine wouldnt touch cabbage greens to start with and had to try quite a few times and now they love them

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 16:21 »
Thankyou i am new to keeping chucks so any advice is really helpful.  :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 16:24 »
Chucked a wrinkly nectarine out today. After looking at me with disgust and telling me in no uncertain terms they would rather have mealworms, they tucked in and it was gone in minutes. :D

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 19:17 »
None of the hens I've had will eat lettuce!

We do save our apple cores which we chop up and they love these. Good recycling as well.

Most chooks on here seem to love grapes. :)

Spoilt chooks ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 19:41 »
Mine go mad for apple which I slice and hand feed them  They also love their corn but especially if I shake in some poultry spice  which really seem to like.  They dont like cabbage or carrot  but I havent tried them with grapes yet.  The love the worms that I dig up for them too.

Fiona55

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:05 »
mine love brocoli & strawberries - happy chook keeping

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:45 »
A handful of mixed corn is all they need.

Remember you must not feed any vegetables/fruit which have been in your kitchen.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:04 »
I've heard citrus fruit is not good - too acidic perhaps.  Mine loves sunflower seeds but that could be expensive!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

wildwitchy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 17:31 »
In the cold months i've always given mine porridge in the evening before bed which they love, keeps them nice & warm through the night.

Mine quite like wheat which the ducks have. I cant go outside with toast or crumpets or ill get mugged.

I also give them as a real treat live white (clean) maggots from the fishing shop, which keeps them entertained for a few moments. Any live bait they go mad for.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 16:58 »
Just to let you all know i have been trying the chooks on and off and they now like lots of different things, they are not sure on bananas yet though...

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:05 »
Don't be tempted to give too many treats or they can get fat and fat chooks don't lay :)

Laurie1203

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 08:49 »
My lavender bantams have never eaten what they are supposed to, I think it stems from what they were given before I got them as I think it was more bits of bread and the odd bit of wheat where they came from :-( I have never been able to pursuade them to even eat the layers pellets even though I still put then out in hope. They have mainly wheat but love all the smaller seeds you can get for other birds and shelled sunflower seeds. Their favourite treat is pasta or mealworms. They also like homemade wholemeal muffins made without sugar - not that they are fussy or spoilt! They obviously don't get too much of this kind of thing though as they are free ranging and I prefer them to fill up on the nests and things they find as I think it is far better for them.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 12:23 »
My lavender bantams have never eaten what they are supposed to, I think it stems from what they were given before I got them as I think it was more bits of bread and the odd bit of wheat where they came from :-( I have never been able to pursuade them to even eat the layers pellets even though I still put then out in hope. They have mainly wheat but love all the smaller seeds you can get for other birds and shelled sunflower seeds. Their favourite treat is pasta or mealworms. They also like homemade wholemeal muffins made without sugar - not that they are fussy or spoilt! They obviously don't get too much of this kind of thing though as they are free ranging and I prefer them to fill up on the nests and things they find as I think it is far better for them.

And of course, you don't actually give them pasta and muffins, they just get dropped on the way to the bin, and we all know how quick the greedy chickens are at pouncing on anything they fancy.......... ;)

sarajane

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 12:26 »
Any day now the blackberries will be ripening.  My chooks will happily trample on each other to get at them.

xx
Nom-chucks

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 16:43
by scrappydoo
xx
chucks....

Started by iannp on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 20:01
by iannp
xx
I WANT TO KEEP CHUCKS?

Started by sydlin on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 17:13
by calli
xx
MY chucks

Started by dugless on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 21:23
by too many girls

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 29 queries.