Night times

• 20 Replies

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
Re: Night times
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 16:17 »
There you go Raven, didn't take them long at all to train you did it :D :D

Just off to give Alice her medicine, she's been going to bed early last couple of days, bless.
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

NormandyMary

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 21:32 »
Its amazing that they learn to take themselves off to bed at night, even when you've had them for just a short time. My newbies went by themselves on night 2, and were just waiting for Mummy to tuck them in and say "Goodnight".
When I first had chooks 5 years ago, I hadnt been close to birds and had been wary of them as I thought they would peck me if I went near them. It just takes time for you to get to know your birds and for them to get to know and trust YOU. If they feel comfortable in your company, you will soon have them literally eating out of your hand.

Good Luck!!

stef Batterbee

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 22:09 »
yup, you will learn to love'em, easiest pets in the world (mostly!!)

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 12:09 »
Mine do peck me!  They always go for my buttons or my laces!

My partner was really scared of this so i tried shock therapy and it really worked.

Mine love meal worms, so i got liz to feed them by hand.  The chooks love them so much they some times miss the worms and get the hand.  So after the first few flinches by liz at being pecked, she realised it didnt hurt in any way and now she is very confident around them

Lew

I hate signatures but love irony

Raven81

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 23:11 »
Sorry, another question, my hens haven't started laying yet, which isn't a problem (we bought them at 18 weeks so it'll be another week or two). Three of them sleep on the perch at night but this morning one was in one of the nest boxes, I'm not sure if she had been there all night or just gone there this morning - she was on the perch when I shut them in last night!
I have read in several places that they are not supposed to sleep in the nest boxes and should sleep on the perch.  If sleeping in the nest box is bad for them then I can cover them at night, but why is it that they are not supposed to sleep there? If you see what I mean!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 06:44 »
mine do this too sometimes ,iv read on here that you can try lifting them onto the perch at night so they get the idea, after a few times they start to do it themselves
i dont no why they shouldnt sleep in the nest box maybe as they end up sitting in their own poo,as i have to clear out the poo in the nest box when i let them out in the morning so its not on the eggs later ,also they have it on their bottom feathers which could lead to fly strike i learnt that from here too never heard of it befor.you could try blocking off the nest box at bedtime.
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

xx
Night times

Started by swo1970 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 21:39
by swo1970
question
Laying times!!!

Started by birds in a basket on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 11:42
by Jeanette
xx
laying times

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 21:26
by joyfull
xx
Hatching times

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 18:40
by raeburg

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.