An allotment - Joy! So many weeds - disheartening!

• 11 Replies

emskiwobble

So I'm new here and also new to allotment gardening.

My partner and I recently moved house and have a much smaller (but very beautiful) garden so I put my name on a waiting list for an allotment and today is the day!

Deep joy! but I've never seen so many weeds! 301 square meters of 5ft high nettles thistles with a fair distribution of bind weed :-(

I'll be looking for lots of advice on how to clear the plot bit by bit and ideas of what to use to cover areas with until I'm ready to plant it. If you could point me in the right direction of the relevant forum that would be super :-)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: An allotment - Joy! So many weeds - disheartening!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 21:36 »
Welcome to the forum - good luck that you managed to get a plot  :)
The page for clearing an allotment, written by the site owner, is here
http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-information/clearing-new-allotment/

Knoll

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 14:47 »
Hi,

I am also new to both and it seems we are both in a similar position.

Mine was around 5-6ft high in weeds and is around 31mx11m, almost perfectly rectangular at around 350m squared. I am on about week 3 of tackling it now!

When I first stepped in there I felt the same. It is a bit soul destroying to begin with but the first steps seem to get a lot done!

Firstly I would consider how you want it to finish! For me I would like the whole area more or less covered in 8ftx4ft beds, with gravel or similar in between the beds! The area is greater than I imagined having so I considered the lowest maintenance option I could. Also with it being beds then I can set myself weeding goals by what beds I will attack daily! I am a way off the beds being done at present!

First step for me was to hire a petrol strimmer, a decent sized one. I ended up with a Stihl FS400 which made pretty short work of trimming the entire area. I raked most of it up and made a pile in a spare compost (pallets) heap. Most of it is probably seeding so I will need to deal with it later.

I then bought some Rosate 36 which is a Glyphosate based killer! I wanted to be organic and I will be from now on. But I agreed to cheat initially because it was such an uphill challenge. A few weeks later and it is all looking more achievable. I am now trying to level out the land a bit and then I will cover the entire area in membrane! Too late this year for us to grow really so just aim to be ready for next year and then it seems like you have plenty of time!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 16:28 »
Hello and welcome. Already there is sound advice :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 19:57 »
Welcome!

As Knoll says, try for 8' x 4' beds to start with, and if you can, let the grass grow in between as 2' paths.

Simple to mow the paths, and one bed at a time for working when you're growing stuff!

We have about thirty plus such beds, and they were formed just as you describe, and while it will take some time, it'll all be worth the effort.

Make sure you hoik out all the couch and bindweed etc, and you'll be fine very soon!

Day by day...

grendel

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 12:18 »
mine is growing weeds as fast (if not faster) than the crops, I have missed a weekend with being on holiday, so am dreading what I will see this weekend.
keep plugging away and you will get there.
Once you get a couple of beds cleared start planting - anything really as it really helps you see you are getting there.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 19:32 »
You've had some good advice there but I do need to point out that Rosate should not be bought or used by amateurs.  It is only licensed for professional use because of its strength and the health risks of using it incorrectly.  This forum cannot condone or encourage unlawful use of chemicals.

At this time of year, as long as you get the growth strimmed down, you should be able to have an effective impact by covering unused / undug ground so that the weeds die down over late summer / autumn / winter.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Knoll

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 20:35 »
You've had some good advice there but I do need to point out that Rosate should not be bought or used by amateurs.  It is only licensed for professional use because of its strength and the health risks of using it incorrectly.  This forum cannot condone or encourage unlawful use of chemicals.

Yeah I did actually read this AFTER using it! On eBay with sellers they don't mention such thing!

Stuff works though :)

LiamB

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 14:48 »
Hi,

I also got my first allotment this year (also in Nottinghamshire) and i must admit it has been hard work but it has really started to pay off !!

Just put the work in and make sure you enjoy it, that's rule #1!

Christine

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 18:34 »
The depressing thing is when you dig out the weeds and then find various buried treasure - pavings, corrugated iron,  the plastic compost bags, glass, assorted metal. Get to know a good scrap man just incase.

We always tell the newbies on our allotment site the tale of a previous allotment association treasurer who found a complete buried Ford Prefect when he started to dig over his new plot! A good legend that stops much complaining.  ::)  :lol:  ;)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 22:24 »
Have you considered just paying to have a professional clear it for you once to avoid being overwhelmed right at the start?

xx
allotment and weeds

Started by detox on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 16:25
by Mr Bean
question
Best way to rid weeds on the allotment

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 16:54
by Sparkyrog
xx
Weeds on allotment

Started by pottylotty1 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post April 15, 2018, 16:22
by chillimummy
xx
Weeds on Allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2017, 18:34
by al78

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 38 queries.