Norlett Beaver Powerspade Gearbox Oil - Solved!

• 2 Replies

ccthansard

• Charles
Norlett Beaver Powerspade Gearbox Oil - Solved!
« on: September 20, 2019, 00:36 »
I know that this is an old subject that has been discussed in the past.  I bought myself a Norlett Beaver Powerspade off eBay for £50 a few weeks ago as spares or repair.  A new spark plug was all it needed (plus a few washers, oil, air filter and I treated it to a new exhaust).  It is magic!  With a smaller bolt and using only one tine, it is also the perfect weeding tool in our large garden (and of course it has done the veg patch!).

My question is regarding the gearbox.  It would seem to be totally sealed, there are nuts and bolts but there are welds that would prevent the box being opened up easily.... 

How do I service the gearbox or at the very least, see if there is oil in it?

Any advice gratefully received...
IMG-20190812-WA0001.jpeg
20190820_202559.jpg
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 13:56 by ccthansard »

jezza

Re: Norlett Beaver Powerspade Gearbox Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 17:35 »
Hello there used to be a bolt on top of the gear box this was the oil bung try finding a parts diagram either for a  Norlett or a Flymo they are the same machine  a company still makes  this type of rotavator Masport power spade it might be worth having a look at their parts diagrams   jezza

ccthansard

• Charles
Re: Norlett Beaver Powerspade Gearbox Oil - Solved!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 13:40 »
Hello there used to be a bolt on top of the gear box this was the oil bung try finding a parts diagram either for a  Norlett or a Flymo they are the same machine  a company still makes  this type of rotavator Masport power spade it might be worth having a look at their parts diagrams   jezza

A great bit of information - thank you.  I will certainly look at the attachments. 

I have solved the problem without invasive surgery! I drilled two holes in the casing, one at the bottom and one half way up at shaft level.  I have welded two fine thread nuts (that will take 6mm grease nipples) onto the casing and topped up with gearbox oil. 

There was a little residue liquidy grease still in the box but have topped up with 150ml of oil.  I ran it for 20 mins at full blast and changed the oil.  The oil was of course filthy.  Topped up again with 150ml...  See photo.  Apologies, it is upside down and I can't edit it in this app!
20190927_130032.jpg
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 13:56 by ccthansard »

xx
Norlett Beaver Powerspade rotavator

Started by Delbouy on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 00:07
by Delbouy
xx
old beaver powerspade

Started by Gerry Norris on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 14:57
by Gerry Norris
xx
norlett powerspade

Started by andy dewar on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 15:54
by andy dewar
xx
Norlett Beaver PowaSpade rotavator

Started by The Badger on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 12:45
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 42 queries.