Parsnip

• 7 Replies

Anton

Parsnip
« on: March 28, 2012, 12:01 »
Hello, fellow gardners.
I see I wrote this last year:I had gaps in my parsnip rows last year so I placed seeds on a damp paper in plastic box until I saw them germinating then placed them in pots made from newspaper until they started then planted them. Worked a treat.

Do you think it would be worth getting them to germinate and then place them directly into the soil?

Anton

bigben

Re: Parsnip
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:21 »
I think opinion is mixed on this Anton. I have been lucky with germination and tend to create paper pots with one seed each, germinate on the windowsil and get a 9 out of 10 coming up.

This year I plan on waiting until later and just planting direct to save the faff of creating the pots and then planting - if you hang around the parsnip root hits the bottom and forks.
Others on the site chit their snips to avoid the gaps you mention. If you put a couple of seeds at each point and squish one of each pair that comes up you stand a better chance of getting a full row.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:42 »
I see no reason why you should not put germinated seeds directly into the ground. You would have to take care that they did not dry out or get damaged when you were planting them.

The stories on this site of starting parsnips and carrots in pots and then transplanting always send shivers down my spine. Those tiny tap roots reach the bottom of the pot quicker than you think

Parsnip seeds will not germinate well next year if you keep them so you might as well plant them all. I sow direct and put a pinch of 4/5 seeds at 6 inch spacings and then thin to leave 1 per station.

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 13:50 »
Sorry hijack the thread but I'm confused about how well parsnip seeds keep?! I've read on here that they don't store well, yet my 2 packets both have 2013 stamped as the sow by date and I bought them before Christmas 2011!

Should I play it safe and just sow loads & discard the rest or is there a test I could do on the seeds next year before sowing?

Cheers

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 13:58 »
Well I thought that you should only use fresh parsnip seed each year.  Give them a try though, what have you got to loose?  If they germinate then great, if not just pick up some more seed.

bigben

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 14:11 »
Sorry hijack the thread but I'm confused about how well parsnip seeds keep?! I've read on here that they don't store well, yet my 2 packets both have 2013 stamped as the sow by date and I bought them before Christmas 2011!

Should I play it safe and just sow loads & discard the rest or is there a test I could do on the seeds next year before sowing?

Cheers

If the packet says it is still in date you should be ok but only if it is not open. Parsnips seem to go off pretty quick compared to other seeds so once the packet is open it is best to use them all or chuck them. If you really want to give them a try then I would chit them to avoid big gaps in your row.

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 14:17 »
Smashing thanks 1 packet is not open so should be fine to use next year.  I'll sow all the rest from this packet, cheers

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 18:05 »
I agree with bigben.  If the packet has been opened, then it probably won't have great germination rates next year.  The unopened packets are foil lined and therefore the seed should be OK until next year as indicated.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Parsnip seedlings/parsnip plants ?

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2019, 11:44
by theothermarg
xx
parsnip

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 08:15
by DD.
xx
First parsnip.

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 15:48
by madcat
xx
parsnip help please

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 17:17
by Kristen

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 38 queries.