Runner Bean Frame

• 25 Replies

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
Runner Bean Frame
« on: May 30, 2010, 17:50 »
I have seen the ENORMOUS thread on here regarding the 'Munty Frame' which looks great.  But I only have bamboo canes.  I have a space ready for beans and I'm going to build my frame tomorrow.  Last year we did wigwams which were successful but this year we want the bean frame to double up as a privacy screen.  We were going to just do a traditional A frame, but it is bugging me that they are so impractical for bean picking.

Can anyone suggest an alternative - it is annoying as I keep tinking to myself that there must be an alternative out there - I just can't think of it!

I wondered if this was feasible?

/|
/  |       

digalotty

Re: Runner Bean Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 18:24 »
try this   /\
            /    \
if you only grow beans on one side then on the supporting side put one each end then if you need to put one in the middle to take the weight , this should work ok and take any winds that may blow across it
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 18:26 »
I do an X shape rather than an A shape with the canes - the beans hang down on the outside on the top half of the canes
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 21:03 »
I "went Munty" last year but I agree with Yorkie that an "X" shape is better than the traditional inverted "V" when if comes to the growth and harvesting of beans.

I would add that you do need strong and reasonably new canes because they have to support a lot of weight for up to half their length without being supported themselves.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 21:59 »
I'm trying this...! Hope it shows properly in the photo... I hope it will be easier than an A frame for picking, and I only had a small area of ground to devote to runners....
bean frame.jpg
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

andy135

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 23:34 »
Penny, I think those poles may bend like fly fishing rods when they get the weight of the beans on them. I may be wrong but I do think that they may need a little bit more support. Good luck with them.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 23:43 »
I grow mine straight up :) I put a pair of waist height 3'x2' posts in about 7' apart, then tied a bamboo cane horizontally across between them. Then put a row of upright canes in along it, tying then into the cross cane for support. It makes a great screen :)

I guess if you tipped the upright canes at a slight angle the means would hang down to make picking easier but I didn't find it difficult. It's not like an A frame or teepee as the beans aren't hanging into the centre underneath just straight down.

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:15 »
Thank you, everyone!

So far I am keen on digalotty and tam's ideas.  Tam - are the canes supported enough with this method??

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 09:32 »
Penny, I think those poles may bend like fly fishing rods when they get the weight of the beans on them. I may be wrong but I do think that they may need a little bit more support. Good luck with them.

They're hazel cuttings so they might be bendy. I'm not concerned if they bend, only if they break, but they're quite substantial so hope that they don't!  I'll see how they go.  I do intend to pick every day or other day so hope the weight won't get too much!

victoria_plum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 10:44 »
Well I am thrilled with my new bean frame.  If it works I think will be my permanent bean style!!  It is almost like a simplified Munty.

From the front it looks like this - /|||||||||||\ (with a long cane across the top obviously)
From the side, like this /|\

So to explain - I have dome three A frame supports, one at each end and one in the middle.  Then the long cane across the top.  At each end I have put in an extra supoortive cane going out to the sides, like Guy ropes.  Then I have all my canes going along the other side, so the sun gets in underneath the frame, making for more planting room and more room for crops, plus complete access for easy pickings.

It looks great - will try and post a pick later today (if the damn rain stops!)  Thank you so much for the idea Digalotty!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:45 by victoria_plum »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 11:23 »
I have used this for many a year, I hear its an old way of doing it, I like it coz it dont take much growing space at the bottom unlike the traditional inverted V.....
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 11:54 »
I like that Aidy. I'm always running out of space. Have done a Munty frame, but might get OH to make this as a comparison as I want to plant more beans anyway.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 12:43 »
what have you made your frame out of Aidy? it'd have to be strong :unsure:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 13:44 »
what have you made your frame out of Aidy? it'd have to be strong :unsure:
The main crucifix as it known on the site is 3x2, the supporting beams are also 3x2. the uprights are sunk into 36inch of pipe which has been filled with concrete.  I shall take a couple of snaps tonight and re-post so you can see.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 13:55 »
Tam - are the canes supported enough with this method??

Worked last year and the canes stayed up all winter.. new beans growing at the bottom again this time.

xx
Runner Bean Frame!

Started by kiwinicks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 23:18
by Totty
xx
Runner Bean Frame

Started by mikeimp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 19:34
by JayG
xx
Best way to construct a frame for Runner Bean Net?

Started by john hodge on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 20:18
by crowndale
xx
Munty's Runner Bean Frame

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 18:39
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.