Slugs and snails.

• 2 Replies

Eugene

Slugs and snails.
« on: July 13, 2009, 11:13 »
I have been trying to grow some squash, I have four plants that are doing very well and look great 2x Turks Turban 2x Butternut.

I'm training them up a pagoda and they have taken well to it, but I just can't seem to stop the slugs eating the fruit.
They're producing plenty of small fruits but the blooming slugs crawl inside the flower and eat the young squash.

I have used pellets with no success, I kill dozens of them every week but they just seem to be gravitating to my baby squash for a free meal.

I cut the half eaten fruit off so the plants can concentrate on the good ones but they still get to them, even the ones that are seven feet above ground level.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Slugs and snails.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 18:57 »
Have you tried other anti-slug deterrents such as beer traps, wool, coffee grounds, etc?

P.S. Welcome to the forums, sorry it's a sad first post
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Terrier

• Experienced Member
Re: Slugs and snails.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 19:05 »
Hi, Eugene, welcome to the forum. I'm having a terrible year because of slugs, they seem worse than ever this season. I'm trying bran around the base of the plants, the idea is the smell of the bran attracts them and they pig out on it and leave your plants alone. So far it seems to be working. I buy it from the local animal feeds store at £6.50 a large sack.

xx
HHH no 15 Slugs and snails.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 08:38
by brucesgirl
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by mattcavens on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 13:37
by peapod
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 30, 2022, 11:40
by 8doubles
xx
Slugs and snails

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 20:38
by hotterotter

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 35 queries.