How to mulch properly??

• 7 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
How to mulch properly??
« on: January 22, 2007, 18:33 »
I've heard of putting old carpets down, cardboard or polythene for mulch but my question is when exactly?  My plot is full of weeds so will I get as many weeds out as I can, dig it over then put down the mulch until planting, or just get the weeds out then cover and dig over before planting??  I just need a few pointers about the right order to do things.

Cheers.

ziggywigs

How to mulch properly??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 19:29 »
If you've got a lot to do, mark out the bit you want to clear and prepare and then cover the bit you're not able to work on to block the light out so that should stop them growing further. Cover them now as they're probably starting to grow again (if they ever stopped).  

When planting, use some type of organic weed barrier. Black plastic mulch, three or four pieces of newspaper piled on top of each other and wetted down and even some old carpeting, can all facilitate in suppressing weeds.

If you've got a couple of years you could just cover with carpet and leave for two years and this would kill off the weeds!

I'm not really a fan of black plastic or carpets (the slugs love it) but i can see how it helps.  There's nothing worse than trying to clear a plot whilst watching the bit you're not working on get the upper hand!

If you've got dockens btw ....i found the only way to deal with these was to dig them out (not hard to do)...little blighters are really hardy and come back with the slightest bit of light.

Concentrate on one bit at a time and once you've got one bit under control and planted....move on to your next bit.  You will be surprised how easy it is to maintain once you've got it under control.

Maintain a regular schedule of weeding. The weeds are much easier to control if you keep on top of it. And remember to weed prior to the plant going seed.

When weeding, use a hoe or some efficient weeding device that is able to pull up the entire weed, roots and all.

Finally, mulch, mulch, mulch…but not too early in the season. And don’t mulch too thickly-two to three inches maximum.

I'm sure i would've missed loads out.

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
How to mulch properly??
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 19:36 »
Hi infowarrior :D  Mulch is used to suppress weeds and retain moisture, typical stuff used for mulch is wood chippings, straw of gravel etc. Carpet and cardboard are used to kill and prevent weeds growing again for example on some land you have dug but are not going to use straight away.
I've dug my plot and just hoe the weeds but other people would dig and cover with carpet etc while others would not dig but cover then dig a few months later when the weeds have died. people also would cover with card or polythene and just stick the plants through holes in the card etc.
Any more question ask away :D

beansticks

How to mulch properly??
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 19:39 »
My plot was also neglected when i took it on 3 tears ago.I eventually dug it all over,removing perennial weeds as i went along.There were other empty plots at the time,they were also weed infested so we decided to cover them with black polythene and when it was removed a year later the plots were clean and ready for digging.Any mulch works by denying vegetation light,and prevents weed seeds from germinating.You will have to decide how much of your plot you want to plant,bear in mind we are only8/10 weeks away from spring.If you dont need to plant it all,cover what you dont need asap.A mulch can also be applied after planting and will help to keep annual weeds at bay. :)

beansticks

How to mulch properly??
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 19:42 »
Oops tears should be years, sorry . :oops:

muntjac

How to mulch properly??
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 22:24 »
but remember that mulching with wood chips and the like alters the chemical elements in the soil . use green mulch or sheets . wood chips also deplete the nitrogen in the soil according to some thinking( not mine i dont hold with that mulching rubbish personally , i dig it over at my own rate and plant as i go , see my plot pics where ever they are  :lol:
still alive /............

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
How to mulch properly??
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 22:37 »
Cheers, gonna see if can get some old rolls of carpet from a skip close by tomorrow.

supersprout

• Experienced Member
How to mulch properly??
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 22:41 »

xx
nothing seems to grow properly

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 20:55
by sunshineband
xx
Using the heated prop properly!?

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 12:36
by stompy
xx
Anyone know how to grow Florence (bulb) Fennel properly?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 20:29
by bonfire
xx
what mulch are you using?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 18:16
by archies plot

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 40 queries.