Collars for cabbage root fly

• 7 Replies

Nobbie

Collars for cabbage root fly
« on: September 07, 2021, 09:32 »
Most of my brassica have failed this year and it seems to be down to cabbage root fly as the plants are very easy to pull out of the soil. In one bed the early cabbage were great, so it’s not the soil.

I was wondering how effective using collars when planting out was? I have some roofing felt I can use. They were grown under debris netting, but assume this allowed the fly through.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Collars for cabbage root fly
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 10:38 »
Good morning Nobbie,  I think the sharp edges of the roofing felt (if I'm thinking of the same stuff) may graze the stem and allow in infection.  Carpet underlay sounds better. :)

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 11:49 »
what about cardboard by the time it breaks down [as mulch] it may have done its job good luck
ps we have had a good year [first time ever] with red and white cabbage using cheap netting from amazon
10m x 2.5m  7 pounds.
from bow like to grow

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 14:07 »
You can buy specific collars for this purpose, I’ve used them before or I’ve made them from underlay but neither are fit to the set again in my experience, the ones I now use were made by my dad out of damp proof membrane cut into a square approximately 3” with a cut to the middle & then a few snips around the centre so it fits snugly around the plant stem. He then bent a piece of green coated wire to slip on top of the plastic material to anchor it into the ground. It’ll be 17 years in October since he died & I've been using them ever since  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 16:04 »
The roofing stuff I have is the underlay to the top layer, so it’s quite soft with no sharp edges. Was really wondering how effect the collars were?

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 15:25 »
I sometimes use torn rhubarb leaves. They can be fitted snug round the brassica stem and the outer edges buried just below the soil to prevent lifting. Apart from forming a physical barrier, cabbage root fly doesn't like the smell of rhubarb leaves and oxalic acid within the leaf helps to ward off club root.
By the time the brassica is established the rhubarb leaf will have decomposed into the ground so there's no tidying up to do later.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 11:18 »
I was wondering how effective using collars when planting out was?

They've always worked in my experience.

I make the collars from cereal boxes and they last the season. For added security I put 2 collars on each plant, with the cuts to the middle facing in opposite directions. That way if the cuts start to open up a little bit as the stem grows there's still a continuous barrier from the other collar.

G&R

ambodach

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 20:33 »
Interesting discussion as I tried collars but found the faff of putting them round spring cabbages, sprouts, cauliflowers, winter cabbages, broccoli and over wintering cauliflowers was more than I could be bothered with and I went to a sturdy fleece which has worked perfectly for me.

I like the rhubarb leaf idea and might try it in a limited manner.

xx
cabbage root fly - collars useless

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2008, 21:57
by muntjac
xx
cabbage collars

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2017, 19:10
by Tracybutton
xx
cabbage collars diy

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 13:45
by richyrich7
xx
cabbage collars

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 06, 2018, 10:39
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 46 queries.