Turned my back and crops have been munched to pieces. Help

• 4 Replies

yummy

We had both been ill and very busy at work, hence hadn't been to plot for about 3 weeks. Went last weekend to pick some Christmas veggies. Arrived to find entire brassica bed munched to death. There were white flies on the undersides of my kale and my sprouts were covered in little holes. The whole bed is netted. What else should I have done please? I didn't realise that you still got pest problems like this in the middle of winter.

My autumn sown broad bean shoots had also been robbed. The weeds are still growing too.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 17:32 »
Rabbits? Unless well pegged down, they can slip under the netting.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

brucesgirl

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 19:56 »
Our plot has been ravaged by squirrels. They have eaten through the fleece over the peas and the spring cabbage, letting in the pigeons, I would guess. We have done a few temporary repairs with clothes pegs, but will have to cover the fleece next year with viromesh I think, or maybe even some wire mesh.

gobs

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 20:28 »
We have plenty of squirrels but never went for the brassicas as yet, covered or not.

Yummy, it is normal, I'm afraid. The wetter, cooler season seas the more damage from slugs (your sprouts might be damaged by them and they help with most things to others) and hungry animals.

The netting only will protect from birds, if it is good, but weather and foxes, badgers, dogs, cats can make serious damage in it to let in anybody interested.  Also have seen pigeons pulling and packing at plants through netting.

But it is not a serious deterrent to the small sharp teethed rodents.

See around, what measures are taken nearby. If it's rabbits, you need a more serious protection for plants, if it's rats and mice, you got to lose them, rat poison or calling the man.

White fly is common on allotments, it's yuk but rarely causes huge damage.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

van connick

• Experienced Member
  • Location: on a mountainside in south Wales. north of Pontypridd, west of Merthyr Tydfil.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 06:06 »
oh what a shame about your veggies..... :cry:
i hope you managed to salvage enough for your Christmas dinner....

i am afraid, no matter what we grow, whether it be veggies, crops or animals for meat, we are always fighting against something....
aphids, slugs, rabbits, F&M, bluetongue, bird flu, wet weather, etc etc
we just have to learn as we go, and be prepared for it next season....that's all we can do.....

anyone else on your lotty had probs too....if they have, you could ask how they have dealt with it.

xx
Sulphur on potato seedling pieces.

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 27, 2014, 21:30
by Trillium
xx
munched peas

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2006, 23:25
by John
xx
munched radishes

Started by Dan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 16:35
by niclala
xx
Fruit all munched

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 20:56
by goodegg

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 32 queries.