Runner Bean Frame!

• 7 Replies

kiwinicks

Runner Bean Frame!
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:09 »
Hi all,

Im looking at growing runner beans for the first time this year and i am not sure what is the best shapped frame to use.

I have got some 8" bamboo canes but im not sure if i should have them in a X shape or have them tied together at the top.

Thanks in advance.
Nick

ThePragmatist

Re: Runner Bean Frame!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:22 »
One option that I think a lot of people have had success with is the Munty frame. Discussion here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50801.0

I am trying it this year with Runners, French Beans, and Champion of England climbing peas.

It makes it easier to harvest the beans as they dangle down from the sloping frame, and you can plant a second crop under it.

It avoids the problem you get if you tie the tops together, which is that the foliage and beans get all tangled up. The X frame is another way of avoiding that problem.

Cheers!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:25 »
An "X" shape makes it far easier to access the beans for picking and avoids the congestion you inevitably get at the top of an inverted "V."

It isn't such a good idea if your canes are old and brittle because being partly unsupported they can snap under the weight.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ThePragmatist

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:27 »
Also! Counter-intuitively (for me anyway when I first saw a picture of the frame), the tall side of the munty is at the southern side. The beans grow towards the light, so if you have the short side at the south, the beans will want to grow away from the frame.

Having the short side at the north is also what lets you grow something else under the frame, and reduces the shading for anything you grow to the north of the frame.

tribs

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 14:11 »
That's a great idea. Will try that structure. Will jute string sub for hop string?

savbo

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 15:50 »
I use an X frame, with 2/3 above the cross...the canes rest on a beam about 2' above the ground...

re jute string - I think it would rot before the end of the year - I found this on my pea patch last year. So it's back to polypropylene

sav

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 22:01 »
This what i use and have done for many a year, as mentioned by JG this one will support your canes at the top, also the area required to grow is a small
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Totty

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 23:18 »
I use a similar support to aidy. Run the row from south to north, meaning both sides of every plant gets equal light, the middle of the rows gets good light and air movement, all the beans hang out meaning you can just walk up and down the row to pick, plus it looks much neater than many other ways. I use hazel stick cos they are strong and beans like climbing them!

Totty
image.jpg

xx
Runner Bean Frame

Started by mikeimp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 19:34
by JayG
xx
Runner Bean Frame

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 07:51
by victoria_plum
xx
Munty's Runner Bean Frame

Started by maxibo on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 18:39
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Best way to construct a frame for Runner Bean Net?

Started by john hodge on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 20:18
by crowndale

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 37 queries.