new chook owner

• 11 Replies

buttony22

new chook owner
« on: July 24, 2011, 21:40 »
I have been reading a lot of different topics just to help me out with what i thought i already knew...........my concern is can i feed food from my veg beds...i dont want to feed rhubarb and potatoes which are the usual toxins, but now i am thinking beans are ridden with  cyanide i have broad beans near there end and i was going to put the plants with my knew girlies as a treat but does that mean i am poisoning them also i have runners and i was going to feed at end of season...i was thinking feed then what the girls leave after would help nxt yrs crop................HELP i dont want to poison our ladies b4 we even get started  :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: new chook owner
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 22:14 »
I feed mine runner beans, they love them so I hope that they are not poisonous!   :ohmy: Have never tried them on broad beans.  Some of the other members are sure to put us both right on the matter though.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

i want chooks

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:18 »
Hi, i am doing as much research as i can before i start installing some chooks, when i was a child it seemed that anything could go in the chicken pan and as long it was boiled it was ok they would eat it and be ok.... this looks now like the ignorance of youth. i have just been reading the toxic plant list... seemingly endless! still i really would love to have some chooks so will carry on the research before i take the plunge.. any useful tips would be gratefully recieved.. either how to do it right first time or how not to do it! many thanks :ohmy:

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 14:31 »
Hello I Want Chooks and welcome to the forum  :)

I am not an expert and I'm sure some more experienced people will be along to advise you.  These tips are assuming that you want chickens for eggs and not to raise meat birds. For what it's worth my top ten tips (in no particular order) are -

1) make sure you have enough space.  Chickens need at least 2, preferably 3 square metres of ranging space per bird and that doesn't include the space taken by feeders, drinkers and food shelters etc. 

2) Better off to start with three point of lay pullets.   If any die you don't want to be left with one hen on its own.  Hens are flock animals and need company.

3) Keep your feed in galvanised metal bins to make sure rats, mice or squirrels can't get to it.

4) Foxes are cunning.  They will have spotted a potential dinner as soon as you move your hens in and will make a point of coming by often to check up.  Make sure you have your fox proofing in place.   Use weld mesh rather than chicken wire and I find elecrified netting surrounding the range area works for me.  Make sure your coop is secure and be prepared to commit yourself to letting your hens out every morning and shutting  them in every night.  Some people install automatic pop-hole openers.

5) Be ready to bribe neighbours with free eggs and they may be prepared to hen sit for you while you are away  :)

6) You will be needing to keep internal and external parasites at bay.  you need to establish a good coop cleaning routine and regularly check for redmite, lice, worms etc.  You can use Frontline kitten strength for ticks, leg mites and lice.  You can use Flubenvet for worms.  These need to be given as part of a regular regime.

7) Before you buy or make a coop consider your needs and setup and you will find plenty of advice here.

8) Find a local chicken-friendly vet.  Not all of them are and some will not even treat chickens.   

9) Get a bench or comfortable seat so you can sit and watch your hens. 

10) Once you have started be prepared to want to increase your flock.  They can become addictive  :D

Good luck and happy chook-keeping.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 14:32 »
Think you have just about covered it all BN  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

buttony22

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 18:42 »
thank you to every one for messages it also turned out alot of my friends kept chooks in the past so i have had loads of valuble info.......my ladies arrived yesterday and are installed in there new home........i have had much mickey taking from my older children about the time i have spent gazing at them since they arrived, although my love for the girls is shared by my younger children aged 7 and 9, between us though i picked up my 17 yr old daughter from work this afternoon and the first thing she did was go to say hello to the ladies haha...........i am surprised what i have been told chickens eat my next question is about meat, a few people have told me i need to feed girls meat ..... can this be true? i will place new post with this question and also about the individual temperaments of my girls...i bought 3 in end should i have gone with 4 as i have one who is ever so slightly a bully  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 18:50 »
No chickens don't need meat - although they will be very happy when they catch a mouse or frog.
The bully is only making sure the others know she is the top hen - perfectly normal  :)

tanya10

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:50 »
Hi there

We are going to be new hen owners soon , how long have you had your hens ? What breeds of hens do you have ? Have you named your hens ? My children want to give names to our hens when we get them , we are getting our hen coop this weekend , then our hens hopefully too , we want small to medium hens between 4  - 6 , do you know any where that you can get ideas for names for hens , I said rosemarie , or henriette , but we need more types of names we are not getting a cockrel as they can be really noisy , we do not want to breed just want nice fresh hens , as we are trying to become self sufficient , is that why you wanted hens , so you know where your eggs come from & so you  know the hens are well looked after , what is your most enjoyable thing or amusing thing that has happened since you got your hens ? Hope you & your hens have a long & happy time together & that you enjoy your eggs from your hens .Hope you have a lovely week .

buttony22

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:55 »
Hi Tanya,  I have had by ladies since Monday like you i have this idea towards being as self sufficient as i can in my back garden, i grow a lot of veg etc.  My ladies each have names.... Daffodil is the bossy brown ranger,  Rosey is a big black rock and she is the most placid hen but a wonderful guard dog and makes sure i know when my cats are visiting that part of my garden, even though the cats were doing no wrong, then we have Violet who is a silvery grey speckled hybrid kind and she is quite henpecked by Daffodil.  I have found myself sat out in the garden quite a lot just watching them peck around, but not yet let them out int main garden as i was told to wait a week or so, but one of the highlights of my ownership of hens was waking at 7 yesterday morning and hearing the girls chatting away in their coop so I decided to go let them out........i quickly tidied there outside area and opened the coop so they could come out and i could clean inside and as I opened the door there sat in front of me was my first egg...........I am loving every minute of owning the girls as it was a long time before i felt i was ready to get them as i did not want to have them then start thinking have i made a mistake...... good luck this weekend let me know how it goes x

tanya10

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 10:53 »
Hi
Well we got our 6 white pekin bantam hens they are called Snowy named by my older son , that is his hen Willow named by my oldest daughter , Flower named by my youngest daughter , the baby of the family ,Rosie named by my youngest son ,Dinah is my husbands hen , mine is Henriette , they are all white but it is easy to tell them apart , we have been having eggs  for a few weeks now we use them in baking of biscuits cakes , our children love getting the fresh warm eggs , we are thinking of getting some polish chicks too , which are just off the heat , but some one said do not get young chicks our or hens may attack them , but others say it will be okay . So I will just be really causious , how are your girls , I love watching them , my 4 children love cleaning the coop & run out & love helping me feed & water them too .Glad you are enjoying your hens . ::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:43 by tanya10 »

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 02:27 »
A note about beans:  Many types of bean contain an anti-nutrient which, although not toxic itself, will stop your chickens being able to absorb essential nutrients and can make them seriously ill.

All these anti-nutrients are killed off by cooking.  So beans should always be cooked before feeding to your hens.  Something similar applies to potato peelings.

But generally, chickens can eat the same things humans eat.  They are also pretty good at only choosing non-toxic plants if they are given plenty of options.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 02:31 »
Also a note about meat for buttony22: Chickens don't need to be fed meat.  If you are feeding them on a commercially-prepared layer feed (either pellets or mash) that will have all the nutrients they need.  On the other hand they do enjoy animal protein so if you wanted to feed them a little fish or some meat scraps it wouldn't do them any harm. 

Just take care not to give them anything salty, as their poor little bodies can't handle too much salt.

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
New chook owner!!

Started by poohbabyxx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 16:44
by Axe
xx
Hello, new chook owner and new member!

Started by Miller on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 18:27
by kimT
xx
new chook owner, some questions :)

Started by chocchicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2009, 20:50
by barbarella

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 39 queries.