To Net or Not to Net?

• 5 Replies

Truffle

• Experienced Member
To Net or Not to Net?
« on: May 20, 2011, 21:40 »
Hello, Hope I can get a few opinions and advice from all you experienced growers out there. I am a bit puzzled as what to do.

I am presently weeding a section of my newly acquired plot. The section in question is about 10 X 5 meters and is full of fruit bushes, raspberries, red currents, gouseberries, blue berries and a few strawberries. The bushes are fairly well established but not huge. They are all starting to bare fruit.

An old gentleman on a nearby plot said that I need to hurry up and get them netted before the birds get them. I have had a wonder around and noticed that hardly any other plot holders have their fruits netted.

So I pose the question do I net them or not?

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: To Net or Not to Net?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 21:45 »
Net them, no question, unless you are feeling generous towards the wildlife.
Cheese makes everything better.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 21:46 »
If you want  a good crop of fruit, net them...  :)

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 22:02 »
Is there a simple method to netting I should know about. I have seen all these different types of netting and fruit cages etc but Im on a bit of a budget and not quite sure where to start.

Sorry if I sound a bit dim, but never done this before and any advice would be grateful.  :D

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 04:50 »
You can find some scrap wood and make a sort of box over the needed area, then drape any sort of bird netting over it and clip it on. For cabbage butterflies, the small white ones, make sure the holes are small enough that they can't slip in. I believe Poundland sells suitable ones.

Or, if you can find some spare plastic waterpiping, either at a boot sale, or leftovers from a friend, etc, you can hoop these over the area by setting in some dowels into the ground and pushing pipe ends over these.

Another place to try is your local freecycle for bits and pieces.

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 17:49 »
Many Thanks for your advice. Its hard to know where to start some times as there is so much info out there, its like being blinded by science!!!  But your advice makes makes perfect sense.

Thanks again

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 39 queries.