wireworm attacking lettuces

• 5 Replies

disasterdave

wireworm attacking lettuces
« on: May 08, 2011, 13:28 »
hi all, just been to the plot and have noticed that wireworm has attacked 2 of my lettuces, is there anyway i can kill the wireworm?
will it also attack my spuds?

archibtbm

Re: wireworm attacking lettuces
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 17:20 »
wirworm will attack potatoes, there does not seem to be a chemical control option, but a  good bio control is available from nematode.

chubber

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 17:26 »
5% Diazinon applied as a light dressing* defeats wire-worm, may be necessary in initial years after conversion from grassland, thereafter cultivation to 9" twice per season will disrupt the click beetle life cycle.

Doug

* I have applied very lightly in transplant holes or have watered-in half the recommended dose along a row of seeds during my first three years on a new plot.

Hope this helps,

D

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 19:41 »
According to Google, Diazinon has been banned by Environmental Protection Agency since 2002 as it is very dangerous.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 20:13 »
The EPA is an American regulatory body, but this is also banned in the UK.

I have checked the amateur and professional pesticide databases in the UK and it does not appear on either.

It is an organophosphate, with a similar action to Malathion, which was banned in the UK in 2002.

Toxicity effects, taken from the chemical factsheet:

Symptoms of acute diazinon exposure develop in minutes to hours following exposure, depending of the exposure pathway.

Initial symptoms include nausea, dizziness, salivation, headache, sweating, lacrimation, and rhinorrhea. The symptoms can progress to vomiting, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, muscle twitching, weakness, tremor, and a lack of coordination. Dark or blurred vision, anxiety and restlessness, as well as psychiatric symptoms such as depression, memory loss, and confusion have been reported.

•• Because diazinon is fat soluble, there is potential for delayed toxicity if significant amounts of diazinon are stored in fatty tissues.

•• Intermediate syndrome generally occurs within 24-96 hours after exposure. Intermediate syndrome in humans is characterized by difficulty breathing and muscular weakness, often in the face neck and proximal limb muscles. Cranial nerve palsies and depressed tendon reflexes have also been reported.

•• Studies have suggested that exposure to some organophosphate pesticides can result in long-term neurological problems including organophosphate-induced delayed neuropathy (weakness or paralysis as well as paresthesia in the extremities); however, reports of these symptoms following diazinon exposures are rare.

You can see why this product is banned!

Chubby, please note this forum cannot condone or suggest the use of illegal pesticides in any way.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 21:50 »
Dave - I do not wish to appear patronising but are you sure the damage is being done by wireworms. Have you found them. There are other bugs that do similar damage such as leatherjackets and cutworms.

xx
wireworm

Started by steve G on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 28, 2007, 23:22
by mkhenry
xx
wireworm

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2012, 20:52
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
wireworm?

Started by cawdor2001 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2008, 21:31
by cawdor2001
xx
wireworm

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 11:16
by Salmo

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 39 queries.