Runner Bean Oddity

• 13 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Runner Bean Oddity
« on: June 27, 2020, 09:05 »
Here's one for you.

Red and white flowers on the same plant. Variety is allegedly White Lady. Fresh seed this year from Moles.
105913802_10222811529256101_4244146232062487161_o.jpg
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner Bean Oddity
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:19 »
Oooer Mrs! You've checked it's not two plants?
Of course you have, but it was the only reasonable assumption for what's happening  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 09:44 »
I've been saving and growing White Lady seed for years, so even though there are few if any runner bean growers round here as far as I know, it's hardly surprising that occasionally one plant turns out to have crossed and has red flowers, even though the seeds themselves look identical.

Never noticed any individual plant having white and red flowers, although it's hard to be sure when you've got multiple bines wound round each support.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:07 »
This year it's one plant, one cane. There's no cross overs at this stage. Traced the stems back to origin. Shouldn't be red anway!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 10:11 »
They be magic beans then  :)  Watch out for giants  ;)

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 11:01 »
Interesting, probably a similar biological process to when variegated plants get a branch reverting to all green. Never got my head around how that happens as the dna must be the same, but must be something to do with how the genes are expressed.

Beepee

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 14:42 »
Maybe they mixed up some seed during packing or a stray 'Painted Lady' got into the 'White Lady' packet? It must look nice anyway!
Never thow 'it' away. It will come in handy one day, even if it is never useful!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 17:54 »
It won't be Painted Lady, their flowers red and white on each flower, not red on one stem and white on another and their seeds are the "traditional" mottled purple. It's certainly going to be interesting to see how they turn out and if the pods are noticeably different.

jambop

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 16:50 »
It won't be Painted Lady, their flowers red and white on each flower, not red on one stem and white on another and their seeds are the "traditional" mottled purple. It's certainly going to be interesting to see how they turn out and if the pods are noticeably different.
It will be a genetic mutation which is recessive and as and experiment it would be good to save some seeds from the two different coloured flowers noting each so that when you grow them the next year you can see what colour of flowers you get from the plants. The unfortunate thing about the way this works out time wise is a hindrance ... we used bacteria and then mammalian cells to observe much faster... but I suppose much much more expensive  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 17:00 »
Highest temperature here today was 13.7C - if it carries on like this I wouldn't be surprised if all mine have blue flowers!  :ohmy:  :lol:

jambop

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 17:08 »
Highest temperature here today was 13.7C - if it carries on like this I wouldn't be surprised if all mine have blue flowers!  :ohmy:  :lol:
Weather is weird last week we were at 37C today it was about 20-22C but next week we are back to maybe 30C

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2020, 10:28 »

Very funny. This made me actually LOL (laugh out loud) JayG.

DD - A similar thing has happened for Mr Dog (in the "seed circle 2019 - sowing and results" thread). These were New Shoot's Gigante beans which most of us have white flowers on, but he has a mixture of red and white. Interesting that the same problem has arisen at the same time, in different places. Whether the reason is the same, i have no idea though.  ::)
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2020, 10:31 »
Having just double checked, I think Mr Dog had 1 plant with all red flowers, and 1 plant with all white flowers. So not a mixture of the 2 on 1 plant.

I should have paid more attention!   :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 09:49 »
Not 'St George', are they?

I'm sure the packet I bought just had red flowers on the front, but they're dual-coloured...

No, of course they're not, this is DD we're talking with..;0)

Actually, around here, runners have had a slow start, probably because they like 'normal' weather in the spring, not the heat we've had. Everyone's 'Moonlight' - or similar, have been very poor at germination!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 09:51 by Growster... »

xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
runner bean

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2014, 06:37
by m1ckz
xx
runner bean

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 10:03
by Charityuk

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 55 queries.