Broad beans and blackfly

• 8 Replies

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
Broad beans and blackfly
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:07 »
This year my broads have been covered with blackfly. Really covered. Even soap sprays didn't help much and the ladybirds seemed quite disinterested and dined elsewhere. Perhaps they were offended by the sorry state of the plants. I blasted the plants  with pyrethrin spray last week and seem to be getting on top of this. But there is not a pod in sight nor a flower either. Do I assume I am not getting any beans this year? Or will patience reap rewards? Variety is Jubilee Hysor. Ta in advance
If you can't be an excellent example be a terrible warning...

Beetroot queen

Re: Broad beans and blackfly
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:13 »
Mine have also been really covered, i had lovely flowers, a few pods but only about 8 on my plants

to top it all off yesterday I asked what the new black spots were on the leaves to be told its chocolate spot, I have decided it may well be the first and last year i bother with broad beans, especially since its only my 8 year old who likes them  :wacko:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:04 »
Black flies can be controlled by pinching out the tops before an infestation takes hold.  Or do what I do and spray them with Bug Clear.

With chocolate spot you can still eat the beans but you should destroy diseased plants at the end of the season.  Next year you should make sure they don't get too crowded and apply the correct fertiliser.
Cheese makes everything better.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 12:08 »
Black flies can be controlled by pinching out the tops before an infestation takes hold.  Or do what I do and spray them with Bug Clear.

With chocolate spot you can still eat the beans but you should destroy diseased plants at the end of the season.  Next year you should make sure they don't get too crowded and apply the correct fertiliser.

Mine have loads of room, all the other plot holders have three times as many in the same space I have used,  ???what fertilliser would I need to use. Thanks  :wub:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:10 »
Well rotted manure and some Grow More.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 12:10 »
Well rotted manure and some Grow More.

Thanks  :D

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:17 »
All that is for next year. Now that I do have it, is there any point in persisting given that there are no flowers or pods?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:25 »
Having no pods is a new one on me.  Had a quick look in a book and it says that sparrows can eat flowers.  It also says that you might not have had any pollinating insects at the right time due to the weather.

The pods appear fairly quickly after the flowers drop so if it has been a long time since then I would get rid and plant something else.  I do tend to be ruthless with underperforming veg.

Chiswickian

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 15:56 »
I think the flowers were completely overtaken by the aphids and never set seed. Just wondered if the plants would flower again this year? There's always next year!

xx
blackfly on broad beans

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 15:50
by Junie
xx
Blackfly and Broad Beans

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 01, 2019, 07:05
by AnneB
xx
ants AND blackfly on my broad beans

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 20:14
by chris23005
xx
broad beans - blackfly resistant cvs?

Started by lozenge on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 19:00
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 38 queries.