Spent Hops

• 7 Replies

Kanute

Spent Hops
« on: February 07, 2009, 22:17 »
I've an opportunity to get spent hops from a local brewery.  Has anyone experience of using them?  Should they be composted or used as mulch?  Has anyone tried them in bean or potato trenches, instead of or combined with manure?

Thanx

kanute
"Things" are the theives of time.

lefrog

• Experienced Member
Re: Spent Hops
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:15 »
not much experience on my side, but from what I heard, great material for compost and a very inteesting smell.
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
Henry Ford

richardwil

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:38 »
They are good for applying as a mulch or digging into the soil but I have read somewhere that large clumps of wet hops can heat up rapidly so you should avoid digging them in next to plant stems to avoid damaging the plants.

This heating will make hops a good addition to the compost heap. They are high in nitrogen.

Cheers

Ric Wiley

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:04 »
I have used spent hops but I composted them first, they were very wet.  They certainly smell of beer so you need to make sure that you don't go home smelling of that or your other half won't believe you!  ;)

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 18:48 »
I have used spent hops but I composted them first, they were very wet.  They certainly smell of beer so you need to make sure that you don't go home smelling of that or your other half won't believe you!  ;)
Sounds like an excuse too me!  ;)
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Runnerbean

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 20:31 »
I also have access to plenty of these and have been wondering what the best use for them would be. 
My nan says that she used to use grandads spent hops from his homebrew in the garden for the slugs.  Only problem is she cant remember if the hops repelled them or attracted them!!!   
My opinion is if beer traps work surely hops would attract the blighters?
I am trying various things with them over the next few months so will keep posting the results here.
Finally got the space, now just nead the girls!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 20:43 »
Brewers' waste. Spent hops, a by-product of the brewing industry, is a great soil improver and is pleasant to handle (provided you wear a peg on your nose!). Often it is given away free if you pick it up yourself, or larger deliveries can be arranged at a cost.

Make sure to keep spent hops away from dogs though! There are documented cases of fatal hop poisoning.

Kanute

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 22:48 »
Thanks for all the comments.  I have added 3 bags to top up my compost bins and agree, because they are so wet composting is probably the best.  However, I will mix them (un composted) with muck for my runner trenches and also my taturs as a trial.  My soil is like grit only very very black and in desparate need of humus.  Will keep all informed as to progress.  And also try to post some pics from jungle clearence 2 yeas ago to respectable harvest last year.  thanks again

kanute

xx
Spent hops

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 09:51
by themoog
xx
Using spent hops

Started by allotment-shed on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 27, 2018, 16:48
by Pescador
xx
spent hops

Started by brianc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 06:08
by Growster...
xx
Spent Hops

Started by andyandyjohnson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2008, 12:11
by Clampit

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 35 queries.