Equilux was Sunday, it's Equinox today!

• 7 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Equilux was Sunday, it's Equinox today!
« on: March 18, 2019, 11:48 »
Yes, I meant Equilux which is equal light night and day, the Equinox doesn't happen until the 20th :)

Something new to me, tbh, but explained here
The Equilux occurs when there is equal day. Looking deeper into the data, you will find that the equal day and equal night occur on March 17th. Yep, St. Patrick’s Day. That is the day the sun rises at 7:29am and sets at 7:29pm.   
So, why doesn’t that happen on the Equinox? One of the biggest differences is how we measure sunrises and sunsets compared to the equinoxes (beginnings of Spring and Fall) and solstices (Starts of Summer and Winter). When a sunrise time is given, that is the time the top, or first part of the suns “disk”, shows on the horizon. Sunset times are given when the top of the sun’s disk drops below the horizon.

On the other hand, when the time and date of an equinox or solstice is given, that is when the CENTER of the sun’s disk is passing over...
Another factor is that light bends as it passes through the Earth’s atmosphere. That bending is amplified when the light is shining on the horizon. This bending accounts for some of that time difference. Either way, the days are getting longer and our temperatures will be getting warmer, as we put Winter behind us.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/03/14/equilux-to-happen-on-march-17-but-what-is-it/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:40 by mumofstig »

wapello

• Experienced Member
Re: Equilux was yesterday
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 15:08 »
  The Equilux occurs when there is equal day. Looking deeper into the data, you will find that the equal day and equal night occur on March 17th. Yep, St. Patrick’s Day. That is the day the sun rises at 7:29am and sets at 7:29pm.

If it is St Patricks Day,   i think there will be many, many people around the world who cares not a jot
 whether Equilux, Electrolux, Equinox,  :D ::), i expect they wont even no what day of the week it was, :D :nowink: :wub: ::)

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 15:16 by mumofstig »
Colin

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Equilux was Sunday, today it's the Equinox!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 12:39 »
and the chance of seeing a supermoon, unless the clouds cover it, which looks likely  ::)
321995.gif
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:41 by mumofstig »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Equilux was Sunday, it's Equinox today!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 13:34 »
The first day of spring  :D  It feels good just saying that  :D

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 17:01 »
  And what a beautiful first day it was. I went on a lovely walk with the dog and saw, 7 brimstone,9 small tortoiseshell, 7 peacock, a pair of bullfinches, heard 3 chiffchaff, hornet , blackbird making a nest in my garden and . . . Hedgehog poo round my pond. I'm ecstatic. Will get wildlife camera out tonight but when I've fed h oggy before ratty tends to hover in the background. He won't go near till hogs finished. Whoohoo

al78

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 23:29 »
The Spring equinox, shame it feels like the middle of November with the perma-clag and not very mild temperatures this week.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 08:59 »
Yes, I meant Equilux which is equal light night and day, the Equinox doesn't happen until the 20th :)

Something new to me, tbh, but explained here
So, why doesn’t that happen on the Equinox? One of the biggest differences is how we measure sunrises and sunsets compared to the equinoxes (beginnings of Spring and Fall) and solstices (Starts of Summer and Winter). When a sunrise time is given, that is the time the top, or first part of the suns “disk”, shows on the horizon. Sunset times are given when the top of the sun’s disk drops below the horizon.

On the other hand, when the time and date of an equinox or solstice is given, that is when the CENTER of the sun’s disk is passing over...
Another factor is that light bends as it passes through the Earth’s atmosphere. That bending is amplified when the light is shining on the horizon. This bending accounts for some of that time difference. Either way, the days are getting longer and our temperatures will be getting warmer, as we put Winter behind us.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/03/14/equilux-to-happen-on-march-17-but-what-is-it/

Bearing in mind that the actual times of sunrise/set vary around the world, do you think this might be due to the data being based on Piitsburgh?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:17 »
Yes, the actual sunrise/sunset will be different from one place to another, but it was the easiest to understand explanation for Equilux, I could find  ;)

xx
Spring Equinox today

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2022, 07:41
by snowdrops
clip
Today is the Autumn Equinox

1 Replies
Last post September 23, 2020, 06:23
by Growster...
xx
yesterday the BBC announced that today's Equinox ...

2 Replies
Last post March 22, 2020, 11:31
by mrs bouquet
xx
Equilux

Started by Blackpool rocket on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 17, 2021, 12:08
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 47 queries.