does anyone know rules on chickens on allotment?

• 4 Replies

cardoon queen

does anyone know rules on chickens on allotment?
« on: October 20, 2015, 20:23 »
Hi
Membership secretary here in south east London and we have a member who has now increased his chicken numbers from a few to now 60 and 20 pigeons!  This is in a mish mash of coops perhaps 20' x 18'.  does any allotment society/secretary have a defined list of rules and regs regarding chickens and poultry?
I have read it should be 0.4 sq m per chicken but it still seems like battery farming to me and the smell is
pretty strong with some other hazards as in foxes who are hanging round all the time and rats too.
any replies before my meeting on Thursday pm would be gratefully received....
thanks!
if in doubt, let it grow ...

grinling

Re: does anyone know rules on chickens on allotment?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 20:34 »
DEFRA needs to be informed for over 50. My old allotment lowered the number to 5 hens and no cockerels.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 20:55 »
Depends if they are private or council run allotments.

I have read on here somewhere that there is an act where they can be kept on council ones, however people are being told they can't but it isn't enforceable - it depends whether you are fussed about upsetting people. Private run sites will have their own rules.  :)

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read your post properly. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/poultry-welfare-guidance-on-the-farm Also for the pigeons to be on site they should be reared for meat.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 21:01 by Norfolkgrey »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 23:25 »
NG's right that on council plots there is a legal right to have rabbits or hens.

However, that is subject to an over-riding issue of whether the birds are creating a statutory nuisance such that environmental health need to get involved.  Usually this applies to domestic settings such as gardens, but I wonder whether the number / noise / smells / vermin attracted by the plot could constitute a nuisance in the same way.  It's probably a matter of fact and degree, but 60 + 20 birds does sound a lot.

If you needed to, you could contact your local EH officer at the council for advice.

There is also the question of what the tenant is doing with the birds, in so far as whether he's growing them (or their eggs) for onward sale - is this becoming a semi-commercial operation?  a) That's against allotment rules if it's a council plot (the purpose of an allotment is personal use only); and b) sale to the public involves a lot of additional regulation; it's not really covered by the 'farm gate' rules.  Again a question for EH, I think.

This may not answer your initial question but may give you some additional avenues to explore.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 23:31 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

cardoon queen

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 21:35 »
thanks to all for your replies .... it's one of those issues one has to address with plotholders.  Ongoing discussions have ensued!  Advice given was very much as we had thought. thanks.

xx
Chickens not obeying the rules from defra

Started by JackieBu on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 12:19
by JackieBu
xx
are there any rules or permissions required to keep chickens at home?

Started by Fat Old Bird on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 17:16
by Fat Old Bird
xx
allotment chickens

Started by snow white on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 15:59
by RigsVilleBird
xx
Allotment for chickens

Started by eddy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 21:34
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 39 queries.