You'll never believe what my hens just ate!!!

• 12 Replies

Pretty Chick

You'll never believe what my hens just ate!!!
« on: June 07, 2010, 14:36 »
I thought dragonflys were bad enough, but earlier I went outside to find the girls chasing each other. I took a closer look and saw they were trying to eat a SLOW WORM  :tongue2:  :ohmy:.
I tried to stop them, but I didn't want to get too close  :unsure:. A few mins later, I looked over at them again and saw they had gone back to pecking the grass, so can only assume they ate it  :blink:. I would never in a million years have thought they would eat a slow worm!!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:. YUCK YUCK YUCK :tongue2:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 14:49 by Pretty Chick »
All lives are precious.

Casey76

Re: You'll never believe what my hens just ate!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 14:49 »
You've never seen them do a tug of war with a frog then? lol

i had 3 of my chooks fighting over a frog, earlier in spring.  one each on a back leg and one at the head end... it didn't end well for the frog!

Pretty Chick

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 14:52 »
You've never seen them do a tug of war with a frog then? lol
i had 3 of my chooks fighting over a frog, earlier in spring.  one each on a back leg and one at the head end... it didn't end well for the frog!

Oh dear, poor frog :lol:

chickadee

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 17:29 »
my speckledy douce downed a frog before my very eyes the other day i thought it was a bit strange she didn't come running for the corn tin shaking she had bigger frogs to fry !!!!! well she is a french cross !!!!
chickens out

Spana

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 21:23 »
You ought to see them when they find a nest of pink baby mice :ohmy:

Wild Pony

• Experienced Member
  • God made ducks to make him laugh
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 10:40 »
I love seeing them when one gets a worm, its like the 4x400m relay in the olympics round the pound....sooo funny :nowink:

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 17:11 »
have I got veggie chooks then ??? I find then slugs and snails and they turn their beaks up at them and wont touch anything remotely slimey??? :blink:
if wishes were changes.......

graces-chickens

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 23:13 »
LOL yuk, our black rock hen (purdy) eats anything and everything to

feathers, blossom off the trees, she really is a greedy hen - and always the last in at night.... incase she can get a few more mouthfuls in before bed - naughty girl ::)

Missie

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:28 »
My head Bluebelle chases butterflies,she looks ever so funny running and jumping at them!-I have not seen her catch one yet!

Pretty Chick

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 16:56 »

feathers, blossom off the trees, she really is a greedy hen - and always the last in at night.... incase she can get a few more mouthfuls in before bed - naughty girl ::)

I've 18 chickens in total including 5 black rock hens. They are nice birds who lay great eggs, but they go even more crazy than the other breeds when they find something tasty. Like yours, they are the last ones to go into the hen houses at night ::) :lol:.
We've been having to buy pellets a lot more often than we used to before we bought them ::) :).

Tazzy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 20:31 »
Watched one of mine tugging and tugging to get a fighting worm out of a hole, carefully observed by another chuck. As soon as the worm was right out of the hole she pounced, snatched the worm out of the other one's beak who just looked stunned :lol:

Pretty Chick

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 20:58 »
Watched one of mine tugging and tugging to get a fighting worm out of a hole, carefully observed by another chuck. As soon as the worm was right out of the hole she pounced, snatched the worm out of the other one's beak who just looked stunned :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

graces-chickens

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 21:01 »

I've 18 chickens in total including 5 black rock hens. They are nice birds who lay great eggs, but they go even more crazy than the other breeds when they find something tasty. Like yours, they are the last ones to go into the hen houses at night ::) :lol:.
We've been having to buy pellets a lot more often than we used to before we bought them ::) :).

oh my gosh - i cant believe it, especially as i read the thread about chickens pecking and trying to eat a frog.  My husband and i were cleaning the chickens out tonight and they were running around the garden and we heard a strange squealing noise.  We start running round the garden to find out where it was coming from OMG yes it was the black rock 'purdy' and she had a frog  and was quite enjoying herself.....yuk yuk yuk my husband saved the frog much to the annoyance of 'purdy' and it hopped back in the undergrowth.

:wub:

xx
New hens

Started by uba on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 17:00
by j00les
xx
New hens

Started by oborne27 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 21:21
by ANHBUC
xx
The new hens and getting them to mix

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 10:06
by Oliveview
xx
How many hens?

Started by Hayley'sHens on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 20:57
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 40 queries.