Garden Loppers

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

Garden Loppers
« on: June 22, 2019, 17:18 »
What is the difference between bypass and anvil loppers.  I have just broken mine trying to cut a couple of inches branch.  Any advice on what to buy would be most helpful.    But remember I am old  :D  they do not need a life-time guarantee.   Thanks,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

Re: Garden Loppers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 20:21 »
Anvil loppers are the ones where a blade comes down at right angles onto a steel pad, so you are in effect just cutting with one blade. By-pass cutters are two blades, like a pair of scissors.

Our loppers are the latter, and they are very efficient, but wouldn't be able to tackle a 2" branch, that needs a pruning saw, which is a one-handed tool, usually bowed, and with which you can fairly easily locate a place on the branch and give it a severe haircut in no time!

Most DIY places will stock them, and a quick check shows that an extending pair from B and Q costs less than £20.00.

jezza

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 16:55 »
hi try wolf they do bypass and anvil there's extendable handle models good site on the net is World of Wolf at sunshine garden centre  jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 18:54 »
I agree that it's worth getting a pair with extendable handles - they need not be expensive, but it gives you that extra degree of height.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 19:41 »
I agree that it's worth getting a pair with extendable handles - they need not be expensive, but it gives you that extra degree of height.

Absolutely, Yorkie, and also a lot more leverage as well.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 08:05 »
Anvil loppers are more suitable for chopping fallen branches.  Having only one blade means the cut isn't as clean and can damage the branch.  Waste of time in my view unless you want multiple pairs of loppers. 

Loppers aren't much use for larger branches, I used to break mine every couple of years until I was given a Silky saw for Christmas.  Vicious things but cut through larger branches in no time.  Probably not suitable if you are accident prone or don't have a generous friend/relative!  ::)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 08:22 »
Some tools are so good to use you almost wish you could find more jobs to do with them - these loppers are a bit pricey, but have a ratchet mechanism which makes light work of cutting through even quite thick branches (OK, sounds a bit like an ad but I have no connection with S&J other than living in the same city.  ;))

Spear & Jackson 18-30" Telescopic Ratchet Bypass Lopper
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 11:47 »
I had a play with some Jardin de France ratchet loppers at a flower show and was quite impressed by them. However, at £125 decided they were a bit too pricey for me (even with a pair of secateurs thrown in).

xx
Wilkinson Sword Loppers

Started by PhilMoisey on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 16:24
by PhilMoisey
xx
Secateurs and Loppers - recommendations

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 21:37
by Half a plot man
xx
Garden Trolley

Started by trev_pulsecity on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 12:44
by trev_pulsecity
xx
Garden Shredders

Started by Gleavo on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 14:27
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 47 queries.