beekeeper on board

• 68 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: beekeeper on board
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 22:12 »
Nice pics ruff  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 22:14 »
I know how important bees are I'm just playing devil's advocate with the question.
Cheese makes everything better.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 22:18 »
I know how important bees are I'm just playing devil's advocate with the question.

I know  ;)  I'm plea bargaining for the bee's  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 22:20 »
Oh and I mucked up me quote and stuff
****Edit*** I mucked up Ice's quote.
I meant to say.....
The guys on my course (bee) that had bees on (or getting them) on an allotment, had to build a six foot fence a round there bee hive.  This is because once a bee takes off it will fly horizontally -ish till it meets a object. At six feet up they is not going to a problem for you.  Today at bee club one other person was stung apart from me and it was because the club was demoing a shook swarm and other things.  This is not normal. Plus we where very close and it took 49 mins into the demo before the first person got stung and I was less that 8 inches from the bee hive entrance trying to get a good shot of the bees. (big style pushing my luck.) 
But this was the picture I got. It shows the British black and the Italian bee.

We as humans (well all animals have this instinct) are programmed to be afraid of bees. It is natural. But they do not want to hurt anyone.

A balanced conversation is the best because other peoples questions may get answered.
:D
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

beesontoast

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 23:26 »
Why should experienced gardeners automatically know the difference between a honeybee and and a bumble bee?

(a) because they look nothing like each other (apart from the number of legs)
(b) for the same reason you would expect a car park attendant to be able to tell the difference between a Bentley and a Mini
(c) because bees are a part of gardening in the same way that seagulls are a part of sea fishing. And I would expect a fisherman to be able to tell a gull from an albatross.

I saw bees in a hive on my allotment site for the first time today.  They arrived only yesterday.  They are almost black and quite frankly look more like hornets than anything else.

If they look like hornets (an inch or more long, yellow/orange heads and black and yellow bodies, I would be worried about this beekeeper...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 23:33 »
I thought it might be a good idea to repeat the original post as we seem to be wandering off a little bit. Not unusual here I know ::)

Hi all, my name is Phil Chandler and I had better declare a 'special interest' right up front: I would like to know more about beekeeping on allotments.

I am a director of Friends of the Bees - a charity being set up to protect and conserve bees in the UK and to promote more natural beekeeping practices. We have been asked to advise a local council on how best to allow beehives onto allotments we would like to hear from anyone who has experience of actually keeping bees on allotments - good or bad.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:01 by Aunt Sally »

beesontoast

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 23:44 »
I expect I have a higher chance of getting knocked off & killed on my bike on the way to work tomorrow morning than of being stung by a bee.
 We can't expect bees just to live out in the country, without bees I don't think the planet would survive long. Without us humans it'll last a lot longer than with us.  ;)

Exactly. Anyone can be stung by any one of a number of insects, even in the 'safety' of their own home, if they flap their arms about or accidentally nip one. A tiny number of people are anaphylactically allergic to bee stings, and probably most of them know they are, and will either carry an Epipen or ought to, or will know to call an ambulance if they are stung. Most people react to stings with localized swelling an itching, and while some of these people think they are 'allergic' to stings, they are not - it's just evidence that their immune system is working.

However, people who are not used to bees can behave oddly when they encounter one, and sometimes their behaviour leads to getting stung. And if you are a gardener, whether or not anyone keeps bees nearby, you are, from time to time, going to meet them and you just have to accept that there is always the possibility of getting stung. You can reduce that possibility substantially by learning something about bee behaviour.

Bees do not live exclusively in the country, of course. More and more people are taking up urban beekeeping, and given the general shift towards organic gardening, they are likely to prosper there rather better than in the pesticide-soaked countryside.

I know there are allotment beekeepers out there, as some councils do allow it, so I would especially like to hear from anyone with actual experience - good or bad.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 01:20 »
I lotty on a big site, and I know that bees need a flightpath...as I said above theres only very few plot holders who want hives.  Theres (apparently needed for legal reasons) A4 laminates posted at plot gates to warn anyone that the plot holder has applied for hives.

Im site secretary Bees, but been ill so missed the AGM, but have had no emails through

So, as far as I know theres been no complaints or even queries.  How/do I need to?  bring up the flight path when the plots are scattered all over a huge site? Or doesnt it matter and each nest will go to their own?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 08:22 »
I have read that siting Bees near to Veg will increase yield significantly.  If Lotties that take on bees find this to be the case I reckon it would be significant incentive to other sites and might help your cause?

I wonder if those sites taking on bees, for the first time, to monitor if allotment holders "feel" that their yield has increased?

beesontoast

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00 »
How/do I need to?  bring up the flight path when the plots are scattered all over a huge site? Or doesnt it matter and each nest will go to their own?

Even if there was a hive on every plot, the bees would still find their way back to their own hive, so don't worry on that score.

I have read that siting Bees near to Veg will increase yield significantly.  If Lotties that take on bees find this to be the case I reckon it would be significant incentive to other sites and might help your cause?

Bees close by will certainly improve the pollination of apples, pears and other top fruit, and soft fruit like strawberries, raspberries and blackberries - and beans. Of course, other factors (particularly weather) are involved when measuring variations in yield, but I have heard tell of people who have been 'converted' after seeing a significant increase in yield.

I think some of the objections - particularly those related to having masses of annoyed bees in the air during inspections - could be overcome if people were encouraged to use top bar hives rather than 'standard' framed hives. Top bar hives cause much less disturbance to bees and allow them to build honeycomb to their own design. I have used them for nearly a decade and I find that the bees are noticeably calmer and easier to handle in my TBHs than they ever were in 'Nationals'.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:11 by beesontoast »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2009, 10:03 »
Thanks Bees, Im looking forward to seeing them..theres been an application for the plot next to mine.  Ive also heard about the larger yeild, so it benefits me!

How would a hive be near chickens? Is there any problems with them being on the same/next door plot?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2009, 10:06 »
We have GPS to the nearest meter and bees have it to the nearest centimetre.  If you move a hive 10 cm from where bee took off they will land back in the exact same postion and then think where the ells me hive gone.

No probs with chucks and bees that I have heard.  Though I know if a chuck chases a bee there may be trouble. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2009, 13:54 »
I know that bees are needed to pollinate many plants but not vital to most of the things we grow on an allotment because we eat the plant leaves, stems or roots and are not interested in allowing them to go to seed. 

Of those fruit or seeds we eat peas are self fertile and actually fertilise themselves before they open;  beans are also self fertile but need a bee to trigger them to do it; corn is pollinated by the wind;  broad beans are pollinated by bumble bees and tomatoes are self fertile and a shake by the wind or you will set the fruit.  Squashes, marrows and courgettes need pollination as they have male and female flowers.  You can pollinate them by hand but it is easier to give the job to the bees.

As Phil said bees are needed for "apples, pears and other top fruit, and soft fruit like strawberries, raspberries and blackberries".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 17:14 by Aunt Sally »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2009, 13:58 »
There's quite an interesting list of how plants are pollinated by bees here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plants_pollinated_by_bees

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2009, 14:03 »
As we are talking pollination I bet most people are unaware of the 10 million pounds supposedly  for bees.  Well its not. It is for research projects for "pollinators" bubble bees and the rest.  There is a 10 million pound cap and organisations have to bid for the money.  Another nicely spun PR exercise by the government :(.

xx
Not a beekeeper any more :(

Started by SnooziSuzi on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 16:06
by Trillium
xx
A question about bees by a non-beekeeper

Started by Lulu on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:28
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 39 queries.