my hen is crowing!!!

• 16 Replies

purplebat

my hen is crowing!!!
« on: February 22, 2007, 10:39 »
this is going to sound either really bizarre or really stupid, about a month ago I was given a cockerel and  hens; and I have not had many eggs at all (about 3 in 3 weeks), we got another couple of hens that i knew were definitely good layers. anyway,when hubby went to feed them this morning, one of the original "hens" started crowing??? it doesn't look like a cockeerl, so what the heck is going on?
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 10:48 »
Was it really crowing or was it the hens alarm shout:

"cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck cluck CLUCK"  rather than "cock-a-doodle-doooo" :?:

They often shout like this when another hen is laying an egg.  It's a way to keep in contact so that they don't get separated in the forest.

purplebat

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 10:50 »
my hubby said it was definitely crowing, head up etc. he was looking at the cockerel at the time, and initially thought how did he crow when he's got his head down pecking? and then sasw the "suspect" doing it

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:52 »
Hens do their Cluck.... etc standing very tall with their necks stretched up. :!:

purplebat

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 10:58 »
maybe I should go over later and see ifit does it for me, it wouldn't i feel a fool? i won't grumble though if there is an egg, been waiting long enough!!!

muntjac

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:05 »
erm sorry ladies but hens can turn into cocks .. yehhh munty ya winding us up ,, well girls im not  a cockerel was deemed a devil bird due to it laying an egg. they can actually be both  lol if a rooster is not available .and even if there is and he isnt up to much a dominant hen will actually try and mate the hens crow and do all the other manly things in the chicken world .the worst is to see a tiny buff banty trying to mate a rhodey . talk about little frankie dettori on big horses lolo
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 12:10 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
.the worst is to see a tiny buff banty trying to mate a rhodey . talk about little frankie dettori on big horses lolo
 :shock: What are you suggesting about Frankie  :shock:  :lol:

purplebat

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:42 »
erm sorry ladies but hens can turn into cocks .. yehhh munty ya winding us up ,, well girls im not  a cockerel was deemed a devil bird due to it laying an egg. they can actually be both  lol if a rooster is not available .and even if there is and he isnt up to much a dominant hen will actually try and mate the hens crow and do all the other manly things in the chicken world .the worst is to see a tiny buff banty trying to mate a rhodey . talk about little frankie dettori on big horses lolo

are you serious? please tell me if you're not, I thouight i had heard of that before, but i thought that person was winding me up as well, the "real" cockerel did have a go at it when it crowed (my hubby is adamant it crowed)

purplebat

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 12:53 »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=383491&in_page_id=1770
I'm not sure how to attach links but this should work if you copy and paste it, i guess this proves muntjacs theory :shock:

purplebat

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 12:53 »
oooh it works!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 13:21 »

That could explain why a couple of my hens try to 'mate' with the others.  I just thought i had a couple who 'bat for the other side' so to speak!!

Weird!!!!!

purplebat

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 13:27 »
i think it is so bizarre, trust me to have a freaky hen!!! hubby always says if animal belongsto me, it has to be mad (not totally sure i deserve that) :(

muntjac

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 13:28 »
nowt wrong with batting for the other side .its bending down and keeping wicket for them u have to be carful of  :wink:  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 13:28 »
LOL   :lol:

purplebat

my hen is crowing!!!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 13:28 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
My hen crowing

Started by Carl_shave on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 19:38
by cejx
xx
crowing??

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 17:35
by sussexchook
xx
Crowing hen

Started by Beano on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 10, 2010, 09:34
by Beano
xx
Erm... my hen is crowing???

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 19:31
by neenyneen

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 36 queries.