Bean Trench

• 9 Replies

MoreWhisky

Bean Trench
« on: January 08, 2011, 19:03 »
Having just read John newsletter about starting a runner bean trench off, my question is is this also a good idea for french beans? as im not growing runners this yr and its something i could go start tomorrow.

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bean Trench
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 20:38 »
I would think so  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 20:39 »
Never going to do any harm is it?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

garddwr

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 23:22 »
Hello :)

I am also going to try this method this year with Runner Beans and French Beans alike, however, does everyone else cover each layer with a bit of topsoil incase of vermin due to the raw peelings e.t.c ? or do you fill the trench once and leave it ?

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 14:30 »
I have a couple of beds where I put the compostables (peelings, tea bags, coffe grains etc) directly on to the soil throughout winter so they are all more or less in direct contact with the clay soil.  In early spring I'll put a layer of manure on top and leave for the summer crops to be planted in May.  This method has worked well for me and I'm happy to carry on doing it - rain percolates through the manure and helps with the composting when the weather warms up, and in dry periods, the layer acts like a mulch making it easier to dig holes for the plants as well as keep some weeds down (except bindweed and marestail of course)  I've never had problems with vermin - they are more likely to set up home in the compost bin where it is warm and safe from the foxes that live on site - but birds do visit and toss interesting bits around but generally not problematic.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Jono

• Real Men Sow - a cheery allotment blog.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 17:05 »
I've dug a couple of trenches this year to try my runners and sweet peas in. Not had any probs with vermin yet.

Quite excited about using trenches actually, as my runners have been rubbish in recent years.

I think French beans need quite a lot of goodness in the soil, so I wouldn't think a trench could do any harm at all.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 17:38 »
I get better results if I more or less trench my beans. I don't do a really deep trench, but it does seem to make a difference that the soil is quite loose in the root area when it germinates. I've also discovered that birds like to pull my young bean shoots so now I also top the soil with a bit of tangled netting (good use for otherwise junk) until they're about 2" tall or so and can then remove the netting before everything gets into a mess.

garddwr

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 22:10 »
Thanks for the replies regarding my question and my beans have been rubbish in previous years too so I hope this method will work better.

So do you dig a trench line it with newspaper and leave open to fill up when you want,  you don't cover with top soil?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 22:39 »
I tend to dig the trench and fill it up starting from one end, covering each little section with soil when the filling reaches the top.

On occasion I have been known to dig it, fill it and cover it all on the same day at the last minute, when life has spoilt my plans ;)

garddwr

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 22:57 »
I tend to dig the trench and fill it up starting from one end, covering each little section with soil when the filling reaches the top.

On occasion I have been known to dig it, fill it and cover it all on the same day at the last minute, when life has spoilt my plans ;)

Thanks for that I didn't think about it :) Great idea I think I'll do that :)

xx
Bean trench

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 14:30
by marcofez
xx
bean trench

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 17:40
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
a bean trench

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 18:03
by digalotty
xx
bean trench

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 12:03
by MalcW

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 41 queries.