Rules concerning allotment vacancies

• 26 Replies

jane1264

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 13:45 »
I don't know what our allotment rules are because we haven't had the paperwork yet - this is where there is a cross over off responsbilities - the allotments appear to have a committee because there is a allotment chairman who showed us which was our allotment and marked it all out for us, but the paperwork is sent to us by the town clerk (being a small town we have a town council which functions a bit like a parish council!), she still hasn't sent it to us yet - despite me chasing her several times and her commenting on it when she saw me in one of the shops in town last week!  
People need to remember they RENT the plot not OWN it - there are major differences - if you rent something it belongs to someone else and the responsibilities that are attached to maintaining it may be different then if you own it - when you can do what you like because it's yours.  Like other people have said check the rental agreement and if it doesn't cover this eventuallity look at what needs to be done to change it.

beansticks

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 14:46 »
Hi on my previous post on this subject i was complaining about the guy on the plot next to me,well i am still complaining.Went down the plot today and together with other plotholders spent half an hour replacing the black polythene sheets that had blown off his plot and were scattered over other peoples plots.The sheets were put on his plot last autumn to help kill his multitude of weeds.

cornykev

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 15:12 »
Same really on our site it's council run and the agreement says weeds are to be kept under control if you get reported you get I think up to 3 letters then a final. If your interested in keeping it then most parts will be maintained but the problem is if someone has paid their rent then no one can take over that plot until the previous tenancy has expired. :?
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 16:59 »
Quote from: "cornykev"
If your interested in keeping it then most parts will be maintained but the problem is if someone has paid their rent then no one can take over that plot until the previous tenancy has expired. :?

I feel for you cornykev, i'm lucky because if you break your tenacy agreement on our site it doesn't matter if you have paid rent they will still evict you.

You should check you agreement because there must be away of getting rid of them, it can't be right they can do anything just because they have paid their rent.

shaun

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 18:24 »
upto a few years ago it was the allotment rep from the council who inspected the plots and sent the letters out,butwith cut backs they handed this to the site steward who reports back to the council and so on  :?

a chap a few down from me took a plot over 2 years ago he strimmed it all down the 1st year,last year he paid norman (the tractor guy) to turn it over and rotavate it,it looked a treat and this chap planted a packet of beetroot and that was his year,the beatroot is still there and the weeds are slowly coming back.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mixdiver

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 12:17 »
This topic is obviously a 'Hot potato' and has not been caused by global warming! (sorry for the poor pun! but I could not resist) ....
On a more serious note it seems that many allotment sites have similar problems as regards to uncultivated plots and where my plot is no exception. We are all only given right cultivate whilst we pay rent and if we don't cultivate then we should loose the right to cultivate.
I was privilaged enough to take posession of my plot last June and have managed to get it in fair fettle for this season. I got quite a few crops sown, grown and harvested last season even though I got it well into growing season.
I do  admit I  put a lot of work in  (paticularly over the winter digging) but it is well worth it. My immediate neighbour got his plot at exactly the same time as me and it is now an overgrown mess. I have never seen him on site once - a great shame as it is a great plot and it will be a much harder job to get it  back into good condition now it has been left uncultivated for a 18 months or so.
The commitee that run the site in my view give people too much slack. If someone cannot find time to get down to their patch once in a year I do not think it is unreasonable to expect them to give up their tennency.
 Allotments are not for everyone and we all need to allocate time as and when we can but not doing anything for a year is unacceptable in anyone's book.
As a result of my neighbours lack of action I am plagued by seeds from his plot as well as an army of slugs (Bah!) and he still has the plot in his name!  I have nothing against the chap but IMHO the powers that be should get tough and boot people off who do not cultivate anything other than couch grass.
 There is a waiting list of eager replacements who would be delighted make better use of the land. It  seems the soft approach is prevalent at many sites. It may not be nice having to tell someone that they are going to loose their plot but sometimes there is no alternative.

Mixdiver
Digging away to keep the weight down!

wellingtons

Our site is owned by the council ...
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 12:20 »
... but run by a voluntary association.  

The rules here are fairly lenient and the site manager can only do the job for a couple of years, they can reapply though so it seems to change hands between 3 or 4 peeps.

We have to keep our plots tidy and the surrounding verges too, and there's rules on sheds and greenhouses, but it's all applied with a common sense approach.

If a plot is left to go to hell in a handbasket, they talk to the owner and find out why, if it's ill health or personal circumstances, they're more lenient.  They offer to downsize the plot, basically getting someone from the waiting list in for half the plot, or if it's genuine ill health, like poor aul Bill over the back from me, they offer to organise some help.  

Bill had a heart attack about six months ago ... and some of us have been helping to keep it under control whilst he's been getting better.  Bill's now back and his plot is safe and secure and not too wayward.

But if it's someone who just hasn't got round to it, and keep stalling they're given a month to improve it, and work it continually or they're out.

The plot behind and to the left of me was a mass of weeds ... one guy took it on, planting acres of carpet and was never seen again.  It's now been split in half and taken on by two guys, one who's obviously an absolute newbie and the other more experienced.  And it's good to see the plot worked.

We have a lot of plot shares on our site.

There are a few of the die hards who grumble at Betty who just grows flowers on hers, but she's breaking no rules, so they've been told to keep quiet.

beansticks

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 13:33 »
YEP,where there is a genuine reason,common sense must prevail.On our site we have a full occupancy,however Neville suffered a stroke last october,so we covered his plot with polythene ,so if and when he comes back it will not be full of weeds,and if he dont come back its easier to let than aplot full of weeds

wellingtons

One of the other things that happens on my site ...
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 14:33 »
... is that long standing plot holders are able to hand their plots on which I think is a really lovely idea.  I inherited my plot from Charlie, he had had the site since the 60's and had worked it with his brother up until three years ago when his brother died.  Charlie was struggling with the plot, but didn't want to hand it over.

I worked with his daughter, and Charlie asked if I would like to come in with him and share the plot.  I said yes, but Charlie then suddenly became quite poorly and he was allowed to hand the plot over to me.

Obviously I like this idea because it got me my plot, but I do think it allows elderly plotholders to let go gradually.  Charlie still comes down to what is effectively now my plot, he goes and sits in the shed or on the plot, he leaves me notes, digs a few carrots or picks a few beans.  He still has some invovlement but he doesn't have all the hard work that he's no longer able to cope with.

I shall be very sorry when I go into the shed and find that Charlie's old straw hat, and his deckchair aren't there anymore.

beansticks

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 14:56 »
Thats fabulous WELLINGTONS,you are obviously a caring person,and i share your sentiments entirely

mixdiver

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 16:31 »
I take my hat off to Charlie. He is obviously person who is fully aware of his limitations and knows when it is time to ask for help. I hope he continues enjoying the carrots for years to come!

Mixdiver

wellingtons

Yeah ... it's a good arrangement ...
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 16:38 »
... but one that's positively encouraged by the management.

xx
Allotment rules

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 17:17
by Totty
xx
Help!-Council changing allotment rules

Started by farnsbarnes on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 20:07
by digalotty
xx
New allotment rules - ponds allowed!

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2018, 19:58
by Mr Dog
xx
Coriander rules ok

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 18, 2010, 14:08
by FERDY

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.