Cleaning out quail

• 1 Replies

Jamesquail

Cleaning out quail
« on: June 23, 2023, 21:11 »
Hello everyone,

I recently bought some quail and am enjoying keeping them. Before I got them, I heard they can be messy and that certainly seems to be true!

I keep them in a shed in a hutch with a run. At the moment they rarely go in the hutch, the run has some trays of grass, sand bath, few other items to entertain them. I have put cardboard on the bottom of the run.

I clean them out each week, this involves me trying to catch them in the run (which is a challenge) and put them in the hutch. They don’t seem to really enjoy this and neither do i!! I then take out the cardboard and replace it.

I wonder if anyone has any tips of how to make cleaning them out easier and hopefully less stressful for them. Whether there is something else  I can put on the bottom of the run or if I should take them out each time and put them in a box.

Thanks for your help. Any tips would be much appreciated.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Cleaning out quail
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 21:19 »
Hi and welcome.

How about training them to like the hutch by feeding treats in there.  With chickens, a lot of people use corn in a tub which can be rattled to get their attention.  I’ve never kept quail, but if they get to like a treat, I am sure they would respond.

After getting them into the hutch a few times just to eat, you could then shut the door after they ran in and clean them out without the drama.

xx
Any one got quail or had them ???

Started by Lottieluv on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 12:10
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Dez res for Quail.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 08:03
by Viv
xx
hi i new have quail

Started by dawn 11 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:48
by Yorkie
xx
Quail help

Started by coughdrop on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 21:46
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 42 queries.