What I did on the plot today 2021

• 113 Replies

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
Re: What I did on the plot today 2021
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 20:39 »
First weekend of the year on the plot both days. I've been cutting down an overgrown hawthorn hedge, so finished that yesterday. Been chopping up all the twigs into inch long pieces for top mulching. This afternoon I transplanted a few blackthorn hedge plants into the gaps and have tried some holly cuttings into the ground to see if they take. Carried on chopping up until the sun went down and it went notably cooler. This coming week I plan to cut the remaining hedges back and clear some space in the potting shed for sowing leeks, peas and various other things. My other half cleared the leek bed, a significant number had suffered frost damage so ended up in the compost bin. Can't believe it is March tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 20:41 by Thrutchington »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 18:24 »
I planted some tomato seeds (that I'd chitted) into starter pots. Gardener's Delight and Roma.  I also chitted Better Boy slicing tomatoes that came as some kind of pelleted seed, they have not sprouted at all  :mad: ??? :unsure:  I think I'm never going to get pelleted seed again. I read elsewhere that the pelleting process reduces the shelf life of seed.

My starter pots are actually sections of 4 cm diameter pipe, cut 5 cm long. I set these into plastic deli-type containers, which I rescued from our household recycling. I set each pipe on end, fill it with potting soil, plant the chitted seed, put the lid on.  Easy, simple, made with free materials that I can later recycle. 

It is very easy to get the seedlings out of those pipes when it's time to move the seedlings to larger pots.

Aubergines and jalapenos chitted at the same time as the tomatoes are being slower to sprout.  A couple jalapenos finally sprouted today, I'm waiting on more.  I'm providing some bottom heat, hoping that will help.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 18:42 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 14:56 »
put all of the old/rotted raised bed wood in the incinerator. was hoping to staple fine mesh onto my new veg cage but couldnt cut it...scissors/stanley knife wouldnt do anything so brought it home to try to find a solution :mad:

Robster

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2021, 15:01 »
First real days sowing.  Tomatoes (Ailsa Craig, Big Daddy), Aubergine, Chillie peppers (KN, Curry pepper) basil.  All tucked up in the heated propagator in the green house.  Sowed summer leaks and radish in pots in the cold green house.  That's enough for today

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 01:27 »
put all of the old/rotted raised bed wood in the incinerator. was hoping to staple fine mesh onto my new veg cage but couldnt cut it...scissors/stanley knife wouldnt do anything so brought it home to try to find a solution :mad:

I suggest aviator snips or tin snips for that cutting job.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 03:36 »
Took stock of what is growing (or not) in the plot. Radishes are ready to pick. Bibb and Romaine lettuce have grown well, look great, starting to form heads. Spinach looks great, but not quite ready yet (late March?)  Snow peas are climbing, nearly knee high, sugar snap peas not far behind. Second planting of scallions is still 100% a no-show.

I cut grass on the entire yard, including a new raised bed area, but had to repair the lawn mower first (removed the gasoline from the tank, due to water from condensation, did the same with the carburetor, cleaned and re-set the gap on the spark plug).

Did some more work on my storage area shelving.  Finish tomorrow I hope?

Oh, and the dog took me for a walk. Sat down and had a small Kentucky bourbon after that, while watching the sun set behind the plot. Or maybe it was 2 small bourbons.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2021, 08:51 »
..."Second planting of scallions is still 100% a no-show..."

Well, there's nothing like a good public shaming to get the crops growing.   :lol: After my last post this past weekend, the scallions finally started sprouting yesterday.

I now need to have a hard talk with the aubergines that haven't sprouted yet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:16 by Subversive_plot »

Wilf

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2021, 19:04 »
Today I planted some onion sets, parsnips and early Nantes carrots. Also started some toms, chilli peppers and baby cucumbers on the window in the kitchen much to my wife’s delight 😏

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2021, 19:45 »
Managed to get 45 minutes of daylight after work so nipped to the plot and started movibg some blackthorn hedge plants in from where I planted them too close to a fence. Did alright, dug trench and repositioned nearly half of them, got to finish it this week as they are slowly coming out of dormancy. Will tend them up to grow sloes in future for sloe gin. Sowed some tomato seed in pots on the kitchen windowsill when I got home.

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2021, 20:03 »
Planted out my four lettuce plants on the plot, grown in soil blocks for the first time in my cold greenhouse, first of succession sowings. Also a couple of foxglove grown from seed for the flower garden on the plot. Laid a load of wood chippings on my muddy path down there. Then sat in the sunshine (17deg), with a coffee admiring my handiwork  :D

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2021, 19:14 »
Managed to finish work a little earlier today, so more daylight left. Finished moving the blackthorn hedge plants then top dressed the whole planting site with a mix of chipped hawthorn twigs and chainsaw chippings to suppress weed growth. Onto raised bed preparation, other hedge cutting and more seed sowing later this week.

rowlandwells

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2021, 18:07 »
when down the allotments burnt all the hedge and tree brash the ground is still cold and wet taking  time to dry out for cultivation a bit frustrating but as all our plants are bench grown its not really a problem waiting that bit longer but still able to dig over the raised beds  had winter crops like sprouts

the point is when the ground dries out i can cultivate both plots [open ground] with our tractor in a couple of hours as the ground has been winter ploughed it will come down fine i like to work the ground when the weather warms up a nice sunny spring day wouldn't go a miss probably next week :D

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2021, 03:37 »
I spread a little pine straw to keep weeds down on the paths.  Also pulled weeds, though apparently not enough yet.  I picked some lettuce, spinach and radishes for my oldest son (the graduate student).

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2021, 22:00 »
I sharpened the machete and hatchet, then pulled two full washtubs of weeds. Most of it was bedstraw or chickweed, but there was a fair amount of bamboo, hedera, some sort of wild cress, and stuff that I still don't recognize.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2021, 09:47 »
Still more weed pulling. There is probably at least another day of it ahead of me.

xx
Are you already planning your 2021 vegetable plot?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 08:56
by basketcase
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 54 queries.