Mini plastic greenhouses

• 24 Replies

matt80

Mini plastic greenhouses
« on: March 02, 2009, 15:59 »
Hi all,

I've seen lots of these mini green houses in places like Wilkos and DIY stores. I'd like to get one, but I can imagine some of them are hopelessly flimsy and will blow away. Can anyone recommend any in particular? Or ones to avoid?!

Thanks

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Re: Mini plastic greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 16:05 »
If your talking about the tent frame style ones, then they are ok, i used one on the plot last year to grow peppers, chilli and cucumbers in, the problem with them are that you have to go and open the door on them for ventalation on those rare hot days (they havent got a vent like a green house), and you have to peg them down, and bury the plastic skirt around the bottom to make it even vaguely secure,  mine last about 10months before getting destroyed in the winter weather, still have sited one in the garden at home as this is more sheltered should stand up better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 16:05 »
but I can imagine some of them are hopelessly flimsy and will blow away.

Yes they are :(unless you are lucky enough to have somewhere very sheltered or can fix to floor and wall etc etc) I was unlucky so can't recommend anything..sorry

FRUITFULL

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 16:16 »
I had one and secured it with a bungie strap thing,it was fine but then it only lasted one spring and summer before the plastic perished on the top and went holey.I have seen replacement covers for sale but they are not alot cheaper than buying a whole new one.Mine is now inside the greenhouse ready to put plants inside for extra warmth.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 16:18 »
Even on my sunken sheltered patio mine (a tomato grow house from Argos)  blew over 3 times last year.  Nail straps around it to the wall in the end, not worth the hassle, save your cash for something better.

Im toying with the idea of a similar design made from a wooden frame, as shown in a Utube video link posted the other day....  

Parsnip

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 16:23 »
I got a small one last year from Wyevale garden centre and it was fine. I used it for seedlings and then grew my chillies in it. I took it down for the winter and stored it the shed, I'll be erecting it  again over the next few days..

I'm looking to get a bigger one this year, that i'm going to use at the top of the garden for tom's, peppers and things. They won't last a long time, but they are ideal if you are on a budget.. or don't want a permanent greenhouse ...

Edit, I found this earlier Matt80, I'm about to reserve one...it's a bargain if you have enough room!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 18:36 by Parsnip »

Stripey_cat

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 22:39 »
Mine was good last summer, but you need to go out regularly in wet weather to poke off the water that puddles between the roof-struts or it'll sag and weaken.  Also, it got blown down in a gale last autumn, so needs some gaffer-tape on the joints before it goes back up.  I'm waiting till the worst of the weather's over.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 23:02 »
I had to rescue mine from across the garden a few times, even though it was well weighted down. I gave up in the end and will use the shelving bit in my shed. Mine was 20 quid from argos
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

aligemini

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 23:24 »
I had one and secured it with a bungie strap thing,it was fine but then it only lasted one spring and summer before the plastic perished on the top and went holey.I have seen replacement covers for sale but they are not alot cheaper than buying a whole new one.Mine is now inside the greenhouse ready to put plants inside for extra warmth.

I've only ever used mine in the greenhouse for extra protection/warmth as it is unheated, but my friend in York uses them and has had a lot of success. - She bought the £80  one last week and it's full to the brim already. :) - I'll try and remember to ask her how she secures it.

I'm sure i've seen replacement covers for about £5 in wilko's the other week.

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 23:41 »
£10 from Morrisons :) Great.

DIGGER

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 08:57 »
OK is it me,where has the link gone,it was there was'nt it.
And the price has gone up overnight has'nt it.
Somebody,please tell me i'm not having an aged moment.

Listen ,i'm gonna get a cup a cup of coffee and come back in a while

courgette

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:52 »
I have a couple of gardman ones & they lasted the summer altho replacement covers needed on one & prob a bit of gaffa tape on another!.....I weighted it down with bricks/grow bags but we did have a couple days of really strong winds & it still blew over in the sheltered part of the garden & snapped the plastic frame supports from where I'd weighted it down. I contacted gardman & they kindly replaced  :)

Stripey_cat

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 10:05 »
Thinking about it, mine was also guyed into the eastern fence, and wedged at the bottom with bags of assorted media.  I don't think more guying would have helped against the final collapse, as it's just too bendy, and the joints went rather than the whole thing blowing flat.

CJ

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 12:09 »
I use this little wooden plant house - going into my third season with it now. I painted it with cuprinol garden shades (a pretty green) and have been very pleased with it.  It has been well worth the money - shelves have warped a bit but no problems with it whatsoever.  Easily put together as well.

http://www.haxnicks.co.uk/direct/details.asp?ProductID=8

CJ

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 12:10 »
I use this little wooden plant house - going into my third season with it now. I painted it with cuprinol garden shades (a pretty green) and have been very pleased with it.  It has been well worth the money - shelves have warped a bit but no problems with it whatsoever.  Easily put together as well.

http://www.haxnicks.co.uk/direct/details.asp?ProductID=8

I forgot to add that it has withstood gales snow and rain with no problems

xx
Plastic mini greenhouses

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 08:51
by Debbie D
xx
Mini Greenhouses

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 14, 2008, 21:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mini greenhouses

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 22:05
by Boothy
xx
mini greenhouses

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 19:53
by Noah'strolly

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 37 queries.