Amazon Prime scam

• 28 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Re: Amazon Prime scam
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 09:25 »
I've just had to play about with the Netflix account because someone in Angus has been watching it for the past month and has requested a password change. Netflix are just saying oh well everything is changed, tis fine. Bye byeee.

How the Husband has been playing about he's changed the picture on my netflix section from blue to Aughra from the dark crystal. Charming. Oh, now it's an evil cartoon baddy who is not only some sort of zombie, it's a zombie who destroys the universe.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 10:14 »
How the Husband has been playing about he's changed the picture on my netflix section from blue to Aughra from the dark crystal. Charming. Oh, now it's an evil cartoon baddy who is not only some sort of zombie, it's a zombie who destroys the universe.
That's clever! :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2020, 06:35 »
Like a lot of good people, I've missed the untick box for Prime, and found I was a 'member'!

Twice actually...:¬(

But to give the real Amazon their due, we ordered three identical bits of kit, which were destined to arrive separately so it appears.

It took a five minute 'chat' to sort it all out, and the stuff arrived two days earlier than advised, so it's not all bad! Saved Mrs Growster and me traipsing round T.Wells, trying to find a shop which is actually open in the town centre, but that's another subject!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 10:05 »
Just a reminder, as this has started again  :mad:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 09:45 »
I seem to be getting more calls from 'Amazon' than anyone else at the moment  ::)
Even just got a call from a mobile number which turned out to be them....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:47 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 09:56 »
I had a series of them last week - about 10 calls in 2 days, all from different phone numbers.  :mad:

Bit spooked by a text message over the weekend (repeated the following day) supposedly from the security department of a major bank. They correctly guessed (hopefully didn't actually know) which bank I use.  :ohmy:

Worryingly, the email address the bank lists for reporting such attempted phishing scams bounces the message back unsent.  :nowink:

Dangerous times with all these scum about using ever more sophisticated tactics to trick you into handing over your cash.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 14:42 »
Jay, you can get a landline phone which lets you filter those calls...

We bought one a few years ago, when the PPI scam was going on, and while a few chums have to 'say who is calling', we never get trashy stuff any more!

Mind you, the emails occasionally get through, and I'm on course for some 'Russian Correction' as soon as I get a thousand roubles together...

...'Natashia' sounds like a nice girl..;0)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 15:08 »

We bought one a few years ago, when the PPI scam was going on, and while a few chums have to 'say who is calling', we never get trashy stuff any more!

Mind you, the emails occasionally get through, and I'm on course for some 'Russian Correction' as soon as I get a thousand roubles together...

...'Natashia' sounds like a nice girl..;0)
Careful Growster - I thought I'd met the woman of my dreams online from Russia. Turns out she's never driven a tractor nor planted a potato in her life. What use is a blond super-model?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 15:37 »

Thanks Growster - yes I have contemplated getting one of those call blocking phones but, already owning a fairly new cordless phone set, forking out for a new one would feel like handing the scammers a partial, albeit unseen, victory.

Between TPS, my ISP's call protect, and with caller display, I don't usually get more than one or two scam calls per week, and unlike the Amazon Prime scammers, they usually hang up before the answering machine is tripped.

Count myself fairly lucky with my mobile phone (so far) - the bank scam was the first scam SMS I've ever received, the only other intrusion being a voicemail message in Mandarin (what's that one all about?  ::)  :lol:)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 20:17 »
Next time you get a call, try saying "I'll just pop you on hold for a moment" and then "OK, trace this call" as if talking to someone else. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 20:52 »
Last tried some choice Anglo-Saxon a few years ago - felt good, but ignoring all such calls entirely is probably a wiser long-term bet.
Do occasionally check the price of ex police whistles on well known auction sites though...

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2020, 07:09 »
A good chum of mine has never had a TV licence, mainly because he hardly ever lived at his address, because overseas business and - er - other interests kept him away most of the time.

For better or worse, the sentiment is a good choice, (we never watch the BBC either, except in emergencies), even though he cheerfully admits that he is 'breaking the law'. He lives in a second floor apartment, so whenever the catch-up people call, he never answers the door, but was caught once as he was expecting a delivery from Amazon!

Luckily he thinks on his feet, and turned his voice into that of an imbecile, squealing incoherently that his 'son' had warned him - an elderly,confused pensioner (!) - never to buy a TV from travelling salesmen, never answer the door to strangers, etc. etc...

Worked a treat...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2020, 10:50 »
I had a bad night's sleep so decided to snooze the alarm for an hour. Just drifting back off when the phone went. Amazon Prime Scammer!!! Being half asleep and as Val accidentally signed up for it which she's deleted now I might well have thought it genuine but for this thread :)
Once up, the cats demanding breakfast so I'm doing my convincing imitation of a grumpy zombie today!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2020, 11:05 »
Aunt Sally mentioned a 'Call Guardian' on her phone when Mum posted this last year!

It really does work, and when I have less time, I can scroll down to all the scam calls and see quite a few from abroad, even Sussex sometimes!

Yes it does work Mr G, not had a scam call for years.  They are BT phones but you don’t have to use a BT line (we’re on Virgin).

xx
Amazon Prime Scam Warning

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 17:01
by Growster...
xx
The pros and cons of Amazon Prime.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 19, 2020, 09:50
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Amazon scam

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2021, 10:29
by jezza
xx
Another new prime minister

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post October 21, 2022, 13:38
by GraciesGran

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 55 queries.