Worst morning ever! (with happy ending)

• 13 Replies

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Worst morning ever! (with happy ending)
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:11 »
At 10am I realised I was meant to have taken my car to the garage at 9am, couldn't lock the dogs in their room as a new floor had just been laid, so I left them in their part of the garden, which is contained. I go get a drink with my parents and brother just before coming home and my dad gets a call from the neighbours saying the dogs have got down the garden (through two locked gates and an electric fence) and killed a chicken =(
At which point I burst into tears in the middle of the cafe and we run out (after paying!) and drive home as quickly as possible. Get home run down the garden and see nothing other than feathers. My mum forces me back up to the house away from it and tells me she doesn't think anything is alive any more =( (All the chickens, rabbits, guniea pig and quail are down there) So i'm sobbing my heart out, when my dad runs up the garden and tells me.... EVERYTHING is still alive!!!!!
Two chickens hiding in their coop, and one in a rabbit hutch, all the rabbits in their beds!
My chickens now have tails missing and are very shocked, and one quail has cut her head, but they're all been sprayed with purple spray, and are now shut in their coop to rest!
So so so so grateful and happy that they've survive! The four dogs must have been down there half an hour and all they've done is pull a few feathers out, so happy they didn't go for the kill!

We are now investing in superlocking fool proof gates and pegging the fence down so that there is no chance of this ever happening again!
(The dogs seem oblivious to their mistake!)

Is there anything else I could do for the chickens to make sure they survive the shock? x
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Worst morning ever! (with happy ending)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:24 »
Is there anything else I could do for the chickens to make sure they survive the shock? x

Peace and quiet for a while is what they need.

Some little squares of toast with a tiny bit of marmite on will do them good.  The B vitamins are of course good (and marmite is great) but the salt in the marmite will help to keep their blood pressure up, which is what kills birds from shock.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:30 »
thanks Aunt Sally- toaster on now!

Debz

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:31 »
Thank goodness it wasn't any worse for the chickens or you.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:45 »
Just took them the toast and all three chickens came out to see me and two of them took the toast and ran, the one who lost the most feathers was a bit weary but she ate some food that was already in her run, and I left the toast on the floor for her to get if she wants it. They've all eaten and drunk now and seem okay! So far it's all looking hopeful! x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:53 »
glad they seem ok, just give them time  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 20:18 »
All animals are fine! =) Had four eggs since!
The only thing left to contend with is the village gossips!..
The story circulating is that a wild pack of beagles broke into my house, and rampaged it and went down the garden and killed everything in sight, and it was a bloodbath!

Well I have several issues with that story... first obviously is that nothing was killed, secondly... a wild pack of beagles?!?!?! I don't really believe that they would exist! A wild pack of mongrel dogs at a push... but a wild pack of beagles... REALLY!
and finally... the bloodbath... well the woman that saw, I certainly commend her on her eyesight if she managed to spot the tiny cut on my quails head... she deserves a place in the world records for seeing that from the distance of a field away!! x

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 21:02 »
So glad everything's alright Mulberry, hope the quail gets better soon and the other regrow their tails! x
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 04:59 »
Oh I love the idea of a wild pack of beagles!  :D The only beagles I get to meet are the airport sniffer dogs.  You really can't object to being frisked by a beagle.

Oliveview

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 07:44 »
Quote:
Some little squares of toast with a tiny bit of marmite on will do them good.  The B vitamins are of course good (and marmite is great) but the salt in the marmite will help to keep their blood pressure up, which is what kills birds from shock.
[/quote]

Aunt Sally are you really saying I should SHARE my Marmite with hens???? :ohmy:
That is really going too far!  We can't buy Marmite here, so when I do get one in the UK it is precious!
Wonder if hens are like humans, love it or hate it? 

Joking apart, glad all was well in the end and no dead hens.
Pamela

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 20:09 »
I don't have any suggestions, but I do sympathize with your.  It's stuff like this that takes years off our lives.  Whew!  What a miracle!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 21:11 »
I'm only 20, I won't worry about the lost years just yet =p x

bantam novice

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 21:17 »
Still only a spring chicken!   :)

I'm really glad at the positive outcome and that time seems to be doing its healing magic.

11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 09:15 »
Marmite? shock? Well that probably explains why nothing shocks me except when I bite into my marmite toast thinking it's chocolate spread. :blink:

HF
Truth through science.

xx
Badger attack-a happy ending

Started by robsonutop on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 19:23
by Dawnuss
xx
Why are chickens so nasty to weaker ones?...sad ending

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 12:39
by joyfull
xx
Not happy...

Started by Diddy Gardener on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2013, 21:37
by grinling
xx
Happy happy

Started by Redgoat on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2010, 13:02
by Thingy

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.