Allotment before work

• 28 Replies

beaker141

Allotment before work
« on: February 14, 2011, 21:09 »
With the many jobs that need doing in March/April, do many of you go to the allotment before work, say 06:30 for a couple of hours.

I know I'd struggle but Im thinking it might help me keep on top of things down there and make sure everything gets dug, planted, weeded, etc?

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
Re: Allotment before work
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 21:13 »
My other half went to our lottie last week to measure and mark out beds at 7am as dark here before then. Surprisingly he was alone ::)
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

SkipRat

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 21:30 »
I dont go before work now, but 10 years ago I used to start work at 6am-6pm, so would on a regular basis be on the plot at 4am for an hour or so in the summer months, then straight back on from work. Happy to say that I only work part time now so them days are behind me thankfully... :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 21:56 »
Last year i was up there a couple of times at 8ish for an hour or so during summer hols but i can do it this time of year, i need sun shine to motivate me into getting out of bed that early  :tongue2:

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 21:59 »
Do not have an allotment but when I worked I used to spend 15/20 minutes watering plants in the green house before I went to work - that meant I was in the greenhouse at about 6.30am. Now like SkipRat those days are behind me and I do not have get up at 5.45 anymore.

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 22:02 »
you aint on your own! I go to the plot before work,especially during the summer months,for watering and a bit of weeding. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to be picked up by the boss right outside the allotment.
people talk rubbish

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27 »
once or twice before work yes and a lovely peaceful time it is in the early morning

Last year just before work on many days I picked many punnets of raspberrries and strawberries and loads of asparagus to take into work for people to buy off me. And mroe than the odd courgette.

This was after I realised I had more than enough for the household and plenty to give away to appreciative friends.

fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 08:46 »
One of my best ever Lottie days was last year in June, the temp was about 26 or 27 and I went down to the Lottie at 5:30 on a Saturday morning and stayed for 3 hours .
It was bliss no one around just the birds and warm weather.
Got lots done and had a lovely morning, finished off with a bacon buttie at home and mug of Coffee.

When I got home Mrs FB asked why I bothered getting up so early and ruining a sleep in  ::)
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:56 »
I'm an early bird and prefer to go in a morning than evening.  Only about a half hour's work every day after taking the dog for her 6.00am walk, but with specific tasks to do, I seem to get a lot more done in a week than if I'd spent 2-3 hours on one day.  Main jobs - the odd weeding, watering, planting out and harvesting, leaving the noisy and heavy jobs for the weekend.

The downside are the biting bugs that seem more active then  >:( 
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

savbo

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 09:04 »
Daughter's school is next to lottie so often pop in to open greenhouse and can't resist a quick potter...

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 09:12 »
theres a few on our site that are there at the crack of dawn or verry late at night ive been down a few times at arround 6am and its been quite busy there but now that i only work from 10 till 2 i can go after dorpping kids off at school fro half hour or so and again half hour before picking them up lucky for me i have to walk past the site to get to the school  :)

bigben

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 10:07 »
I am on a bike by 7 going to work so would need to get up extra early to get anything done. I can usually do a bit after work now it is getting a bit lighter.

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 12:12 »
Blimey what time do you lot go to bed, sundown?!! I think I might feel a bit like a corpse getting up at 5.45am, but come to think of it I like the idea of breakfast on the plot  8)

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 16:56 »
I like to go down the allotment before work, as by the time I finish work it is usually dark, especially at this time of the year.

Personally I like to get up quite in the morning, I don't see the point in wasting daylight hours laying in bed.

Currently it is only light for about 10 hours during the day starting at about 7.15, so I prefer to be up and about by then to make the most of it.

Even in the summer, it's light by 5am and dark by 10pm, I prefer to be up early and using that daylight rather than sitting at home late in the evening in the dark with the lights on watching the usual drivel on the telly.

crh75

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 17:08 »
I've never gone before work, but I do somethimes pop down at lunchtime. In the summer when warm and dry it is a great time to hoe. When watering is needed I tend to go in the evening.

I do like to go early at the weekends though.  It's nice when there are few others about, most people on my plot seem to prefer the afternoons.

xx
Just got an allotment. It needs a lot of work, but what can I sow now?

Started by stee1e on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 08:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Starting Work At The Allotment

Started by TheChilliMan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 19:20
by fibilou
xx
new allotment 1st days work today

Started by spudtastic on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 14:29
by randombod
xx
new allotment back breaking work

Started by foxydan on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 07:20
by foxydan

Page created in 0.624 seconds with 38 queries.