Tips on handling tiny seeds?

• 5 Replies

Browseruk

Tips on handling tiny seeds?
« on: March 13, 2023, 13:33 »
I just potted 20 cauli and 20 broccoli seeds; and boy is it ever fiddly trying to get them in the holes in the compost.  I'm not at all convinced all of them made it into the holes; but once you let go they are impossible to see.

Is there some technique for handling them?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 19:16 by Browseruk »

Growster...

Re: Tips on handling tiny seeds?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2023, 17:52 »
I think it's a matter of just getting the seed on the surface, shaking some dry compost over them using a 3" flower pot, then - er - just waiting!

I used to spend ages getting begonias going, (the seeds are just dust!), but it really is such a satisfying result to see the tiny leaves appearing and ready for new homes!

Browseruk

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 19:16 »
At what stage did you pot them on.. I let them get at least 2 true sets of leaves before even thinking of potting up!

I wasn't potting them on; but rather sowing them.

Browseruk

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 19:19 »
I think it's a matter of just getting the seed on the surface, shaking some dry compost over them using a 3" flower pot, then - er - just waiting!

Ah! That's what I did wrong. I filled the pots, poked little holes on the compost and tried to drop the seeds into them.

Hortic

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 11:20 »
Mix tiny seeds with dry sand and use this mix to distribute over your seed tray.
Check if these seeds need to be covered as a lot of tiny seeds don't.

Hortic

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 16:19 »
Mix the tiny seeds with fine sand and sprinkle over a seed tray, cover with the required depth of compost. Once they germinate and are big enough to handle, prick them out into your pots.   

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 44 queries.