How old are my Bantams?

• 10 Replies

Budboy

How old are my Bantams?
« on: September 24, 2011, 19:12 »
I am a newbie at keeping Bantams and have just welcomed 3 Lavender Pekins to my garden.  I have been told they are approx. 20 weeks but I feel they are younger, they came as a starter package.  Is there an easy way to make a good guestimate?  I am feeding growers pellets and am not sure if that is right, they have mixed grain with shell etc., also.  All very bright, feeding well and preening and seem very happy in their large fox proof run so pretty much free range really.  Any advice welcomed.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: How old are my Bantams?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:50 »
There is no really reliable way to tell their age.  If you can post pictures here, some of the experienced members might be able to have an educated guess at how far they are from laying.  A clear picture showing their facial features (comb and wattles) would be a big help.

At this time of year (autumn) your girls may take longer to come in to lay than they would if they reached the same age in spring.  Depending on your local climate and daylight hours they may decide to delay laying until after the shortest day in December!

If there is one thing chicken-keeping teaches you, it's that you can't rush Mother Nature.  :)

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 08:34 »
Hello there and welcome to the forum.  I agree with Lindeggs here.  If you could post some pics it would be helpful.  In the meantime good luck with your chooks.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Budboy

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 15:26 »
This is the one which looks older to me.
September 2011 062.jpg

Budboy

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 15:28 »
This one seems younger because the feathers are very different.  Any help would be very much appreciated.
September 2011 063.jpg

Budboy

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 15:33 »
Thank you Lindeggs and Bantam Novice, sorry for short text on photos, had a problem trying to attach them.  Hopefully the photos of them both are clear enough. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 15:34 »
they are beautiful, lucky you. All birds develop at different times which is why one appears slightly younger (they can hatch over several days even though they are set at the same time).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 18:19 »
Hi I'm certainly no expert but I also have some Pekins which I bought recently and I have one who is 20 weeks old and began laying 2 weeks ago. Her comb is very much redder and bigger than yours and she is also very much bigger.
 My other one is a black Pekin and was told she was 12 weeks old when we bought her and she was more like 5 weeks old!! Therefore she is now 10 weeks old, as we got them 5 weeks ago, and her comb is still quite small and she is half the size of the other one. Hope this is some help to you.

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 12:07 »
Hi Budboy, although I have to admit that Pekins aren't my breed, I think you're may be a little younger than 20 weeks - possibly as young as 15 weeks, so you might have a little longer wait for eggs than you expected :)

The second bird looks half frizzled, so she may be a carrier for the frizzle gene - or it may be that she was protein deficient as she was growing so her feathers haven't developed properly.  In that case once she has a full moult her feathers should grow out normally - but if it is due to the frizzle gene she may alwasy look a bit raggy.

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:28 »
Whether frizzled or not, they are gorgeous girls and I agree - much younger than you were led to believe.

Budboy

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 18:51 »
Thank you so much everyone, they are certainly lovely and I'm enjoying them very much.  This is a great site for someone like me, so much experience and good advise to hand.  :D

xx
Bantams??

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 07:02
by joyfull
xx
Bantams

Started by ohsocute on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 13:04
by ohsocute
xx
Help with ex bat and bantams

Started by scampy on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 19:22
by scampy
question
Bantams

Started by rcandy2001 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 19:02
by Big Jen

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 40 queries.