Natural soap

• 8 Replies

Snoop

Natural soap
« on: October 26, 2011, 16:34 »
I've just been reading the thread about whitefly on sprouts. The solution recommended is an emulsion of rapeseed oil and natural soap.

I know this is a daft question, but what exactly is natural soap? Is it just soap without perfumes or colorants?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Natural soap
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 16:55 »
I thought of Lux soapflakes, but they're not made any more :dry: another company took the idea of pure soap up, I found them on e-bay,
here   but don't know where else they sell it..I'll leave you to Google that :D

I wonder if this one would help http://www.organicsoap.net/antimidgebuzzoff-soap-p-18.html

sarajane

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 17:31 »
T--co sell Grannys Original Soapflakes.  Not sure how much they are as my pack has been sitting under the sink for more years than I care to remember but it is still sold.90% pure soap

starry

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 17:44 »
is that all it is I have been searching garden centres for horticultural which I found but was quite pricey (don't like been ripped off) so I am to s*******Y tomorrow thank you  :D
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

SkipRat

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 20:53 »
I wrote about waging war on the whitefly with "natural" soap. What maybe a better description is soap made with organic/natural ingredients ie natural oils such as palm,hemp,olive, rape etc, as opposed to chemical ingredients. Whitefly breath via pores on their bodies, the soap solution works by blocking the insect’s breathing pores and dissolving its outer covering, resulting in dehydration.    :)
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 21:17 »
The soap in my link is only made with natural ingredients .. Dri pak soap flakes are from the same manufacturer and also all natural.
http://www.msodistributing.com/soapflakes.html

grannies soapflakes are also pure vegetable soap according to their safety data sheet.

So there's no need to pay over the odds  ;)

SkipRat

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 21:39 »
The soap in my link is only made with natural ingredients .. Dri pak soap flakes are from the same manufacturer and also all natural.
http://www.msodistributing.com/soapflakes.html

grannies soapflakes are also pure vegetable soap according to their safety data sheet.

So there's no need to pay over the odds  ;)

It has said that some of the very expensive "horticulturel soaps" smell exactly the same as some of the cheaper commercial "natural" soap. Now fancy that..... ;) ;)

sarajane

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 07:17 »
Whitefly apart, the soap that MOS recommends looks good for ourselves when we go camping or abroad.  If they have tested it against midges in scotland it might help with those blasted mosquitos in Spain.

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 12:26 »
Thanks for all the replies. I can buy soap made the old-fashioned way by grannies here,. It' made using olive oil, but also includes czustic ingredients, though the end product does you no harm.

I wouldn't bank on it keeping Spanish mozzies at bay...  They've got a particularly mean streak in my experience.

xx
Horticultural soap

Started by Stevens706 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 18:56
by Bernard
xx
Soft soap

Started by andygh on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 03, 2007, 23:40
by andygh
xx
What is soft soap?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 08:45
by Sharonx
xx
Soft soap?

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 19:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 40 queries.