Membrane?

• 7 Replies

Arcky

Membrane?
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:30 »
Hi

I'm new here. I've been on an allotment waiting list for years and have just been allocated one and it's both exciting and a little scary.

It's one one those laws that it's come at an exceptionally busy time for me and I'm going to be away on and off for the next few weeks. So I thought I might start by clearing the site and covering most of it with membrane, leaving some open for my first attempt at planting. Is this a good strategy?

I have had a look online and the problem is I don't know which type of membrane is best - plastic or woven. Can anyone help? Is there anything else I should consider?  :wub:

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 11:47 by Arcky »

cadalot

Re: Membrane?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:04 »
Basically if your using it to kill off or supress the weeds it need to let any light in - I used some grey damp proof membrane that I got off freecycle - some people use carpet however some allotments no longer allow carpet (NOT Plastic backed)  because of the chemicals.

We had a double inflatable bed that leaked and I cut it around 3 sides and have used that to cover up and kill the weeds. Blue woven tarp covered in a pile of woodchip and the weed still came through it.

The cheaper weed membrane you can see through to the other side, so if you can see, the light can get in. I have bought some woven stuff that lets water pass but not light and I'm going to trial that to cover my beds at the end of the season to hold back the weeds.     
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 14:43 by cadalot »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 19:12 »
I have heavier duty woven membrane, which lets air and water through but not light, as cadalot says.

If you have a choice of widths, go for the widest width which you can find and is appropriate for what you need to cover.  Fewer 'edges' to have to weight down  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Arcky

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:20 »
Thank you Cadalot  and Yorkie. Very helpful.   :)

Totty

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 17:18 »
Yup, I use the woven stuff too. It will last ages. My allotment is covered in it, and we only grow potatoes and onions up there. My large greenhouse at work is also covered in it, with all manner of things being planted through it over the coming weeks. No weeds, less watering and warmer soil. Must be a good thing.

Totty

Arcky

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 18:33 »
That's really encouraging Totty. Thanks.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 19:33 »
The one I bought was called Landscaping membrane, which comes in a range of widths. Ours was 2m wide.

(Bought on ebay with free p&p too)

Wider ones are easier to keep weighted down I think. Large pots of stones, or milk bottles filled with water help here
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Arcky

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:52 »
I must admit that I hadn't thought too much about the width but after reading these replies I see that it's worth considering going for the wider ones. Thanks.

xx
weed membrane

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 20:31
by digalotty
xx
Weedproof Membrane

Started by Cynara on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 23:18
by GrannieAnnie
xx
plastic or membrane?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2008, 12:17
by Knoblauch
xx
geotextile membrane

Started by archies plot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 14:43
by Kristen

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 38 queries.