New house and garden

• 10 Replies

ouchy

New house and garden
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:58 »
We've recently moved into a new house. It has a resonable sized garden and greenhouse.
It looks like the previous owners were not popular from what the neighbour has told me, but wouldnt elaborate.
Anyway, I want to start growing my own and want rid of whatever was being grown/growing before. I've got my eye on pots, carrots, onions, beans, beets and such like. Should I do a soil test or just get on with it and see what happens? As you can tell Im new at growing!

Elcie

Re: New house and garden
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:44 »
Hi Ouchy, congratulations on the move, especially with a greenhouse there lucky you!  I haven't done a soil test and have been relatively successful in my first year but if you want to do one then it certainly doesn't hurt!

Good luck with growing it is all quite exciting.

granjan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:55 »
I haven't tested my soil either.  Learning by trial and error is part of the fun :) 

Any excess produce would make you really popular with the neighbours too  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 15:32 »
Ouchy, if the previous owners were growing crops, then there's no need to soil test. that's really only needed on a commercial scale when substantial quantities are under question.

Your better solution is to simply ask the neighbours what your previous owners grew, as I'm sure they knew, and the neighbours might even be growers themselves who could offer a few tips or point you towards other neighbours who do. Most veg gardeners are thrilled to share info and help others.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 22:22 »
Hi Ouchy,

I was in the same position a few years ago and am now looking at my fourth season in a garden started from scratch but with a large lean-to greenhouse. Believe me, it just gets better. You start with a small patch and every year it gets bigger and every year you marvel at the amount of food you can produce. I couldn't ask my neighbours what to grow because they all seem to like lawns and flower beds (how weird is that??). It's been said many times before but just grow what you like to eat.

digalotty

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 00:18 »
i would just see what comes up :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 15:55 »
Hello Ouchy. Like the sound of your new garden and the soil is probably ready for someone to come in and get things going again  :D

Would you mind adding your location into your profile so we know whereabouts in the country you are, please? 
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

ouchy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 13:45 »
Thanks for your replies.
I havent bothered with a soil test.

I've got a plan as to what I'm going to grow although I keep changing my mind, but it gives me alot to work on. I dont want too much as I'm not keen on waste. I only want to grow what we need.
I've got my eye on planting a few fruit trees as well so have added them to my online plan.
I didn't realise how big this project would be, but it gives me something to occupy my evenings and keeps me off the streets, 'til later! ;)

But have found out why the neighbour hated the previous owners. Apparently 2 of his cats went missing after he fell out with them...I think we've just dug them up!! Do I tell him we've found them or dispose of them without letting on?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 13:54 »
I dont like cats, but i guess you should tell him really  :(
Thanks
Kris

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 14:34 »
How do you know they were his cats? They could also have belonged to a previous owner and have been cherished pets.........unless the bodies still have fur etc and have only very recently been buried...................
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

moonosbailey

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 15:06 »
The last owners of our garden spent a fortune gravelling the whole allotment area over and planting it up with lupins. We were quite dismayed as it was back breaking to reverse the process but never knew how amazing lupins are for the soil - the next year was incredible! all sorts of surprises may be awaiting you!

xx
new house, new garden!

Started by Axe on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 17:01
by Axe
xx
New house so ...

Started by Highfield on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 19:03
by Trillium
xx
Two more and I have the full house.

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 09:44
by gobs
xx
mushroom house

Started by 10dahlia on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 17:30
by Digger Tom

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 34 queries.