TURKEYS

• 3 Replies

THE MOTHER HEN

TURKEYS
« on: July 12, 2019, 10:36 »
Good Morning to all,

I am new on here and indeed on Forums generally.

I am an experienced Chicken and Duck Keeper - amongst lots of other animals - but new to Turkey Keeping.

I have wanted a couple of Turkeys as pets for a long time and I am due to collect them in 10 days....

Any obvious pointers that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend who has Turkeys and she also has Chickens with them, but someone has just said I shouldn't keep them anywhere near eachother - which could be a problem?

Many thanks for any help.

Chuck Chuck

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: TURKEYS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 11:00 »
I have no experience of keeping turkeys myself MH, but there are articles on the main site, which may be useful  :)

Here is a link to one as a starter

https://www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/keeping-turkeys/housing-feeding-turkeys/

grinling

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 22:41 »
A member a few years back got turkeys and a few of his chickens became ill and died. The vet did an autopsy and found the cause as histomonas meleagridis protazoan. This is very common in turkeys and cause no harm, but no treatment available for chickens. Only thing you can do is constantly worm chickens as they catch it via earthworms in the soil.

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 15:06 »
A while ago I was considering turkeys as well. I was advised to keep them away from the chickens since they are so much more sensitive to parasites, worms, bacteria and will get ill.
Especially.. It's on the tip of my tongue but it just doesn't pop up. Chickens can get it from having poop in the water and drink from it..The word just sits there..  :lol:

I asked around an it was confirmed by other people.
At the same time: a friend of mine has them together and they are doing fine. One of them died but this wasn't 'chicken related'.

Maybe your hygiene standard should be good and high if you want to keep them together and give them their own coop?

xx
Looking for Turkeys

Started by Mickey2stroke on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 08:09
by joyfull
xx
Turkeys

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 10:13
by geoffwales
xx
turkeys

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 30, 2010, 09:06
by joyfull
xx
Turkeys

Started by pj101 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 12:21
by mdueal

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 40 queries.