Injured chicken - advice needed

• 7 Replies

Chicken chum

Injured chicken - advice needed
« on: April 17, 2014, 19:38 »
Audrey at point of lay joined my flock about four weeks ago and all was well. However four more point of lays came last week and she picked on one to terrorise. This one has remained on top of the eglu ever since and I have had to feed and water her up there as every time she tried to go down Audrey attacked! Today I came home to find Gertie still on top of the eglu but Audrey has been nastily attacked and has only two tail feathers left, there is quite a lot of bleeding ( still bleeding an hour after I found her) I think some flesh is missing too. I have separated her, sprayed her with purple spray and put Tylan in her water. Is there anything else I can do? I'm a bit worried she may not survive as the wound looks so bad. Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks

hen addict

Re: Injured chicken - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 20:14 »
There is not much else you can do, you did the right thing getting her out of there. It's a nightmare at this time of year trying to introduce new birds. I've got 4 currently in a separate pen 3 of which are pol. Keep her well covered in purple spray and watch for any fresh bleeding, the feathers may not grow back fully till her first moult so she's going to be vulnerable in those areas to attack. Tylan should help with any infection, keep her warm, quiet, and calm for the first few days, lots of TCL. There is also the sad possibility she may go into shock or a more serious infection might develop in which case you need a vet It also depends on how deep the wounds are?

If or when the wounds have healed sufficiency enough, the company of another young bird will help her confidence no end but do not put her back with the other hens untill she is fully feathered and much older.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 20:19 by hen addict »
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 22:50 »
Is it possible to separate the hens. Bit late for quarantine, but if you get more you should do this for a few weeks. Do you have a cockerel?

Chicken chum

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 15:08 »
She's separated in an ark but is pretty cross about it and keeps rattling the bars! She's eating well but as she was such a bully I think either the cockerel taught her a lesson ( which I doubt as he is such a wuss!) or she picked on one who fought back, drew blood and others joined in for a peck after seeing the blood. Is that likely?

hen addict

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 16:06 »
Yes very much so, hens can have cannibal tendencies when blood is drawn they have been know to attack another to death then tuck in sad but very true  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:15 »
the colour red does send birds in a frenzy, try walking into a chicken run with sandals and red painted toe nails - you will soon find out that several will try pecking your tootsies  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

stefsp

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:27 »
what can i do for one of my girls eyes  looks like it might have an infection

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 17:06 »
best get her to a vets as she might need a topical ointment for her infection, in the meantime you can bathe it with cooled boiled water (make sure you use a different swab for each eye to prevent spreading the infection).

xx
Injured chook, advice needed

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 18:02
by Hayley'sHens
exclamation
Chicken advice needed

Started by dianamack on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 11:12
by ANHBUC
xx
advice on chicken run floor needed!

Started by Angelina on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 12:12
by blossom1044
xx
Advice Needed on Chicken Health (HELP)

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 29, 2011, 16:00
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 39 queries.