How long for heat, ?

• 8 Replies

Craigx

• Experienced Member
How long for heat, ?
« on: October 06, 2012, 22:19 »
Hello,

I usually keep my chicks in full heat for 3 weeks then on the 4th week night only and off on the 5th week, but iv been told that this is wrong and they only need heat for the first week?

They're in my kitchen atm, which isn't cold, but i still believe they should be still under heat, but saying that id love to cut down on the electric usage lol

So i'm hoping that people will comment on there experience with chicks,

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: How long for heat, ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 22:40 »
one week isn't enough Craig.  Sometimes it is 6 weeks until the chicks are fully feathered.

We used to have most of our chicks in a brooder shed,  They had heat 24/7 for 4 weeks, then a wee or two or night time only, then no heat and outside.

A lot depends on the weather at the time.  Summertime is a bit different to mid winter temps, but that is what we did.

We've had up to 300 chicks at a time, so I had to do it properly!  :)

The professionals I've learnt from say that those first weeks are the most important time of the chicks lives.  Getting it right can mean the difference between long lived healthy chickens that lay lots of eggs, to chickens that don't always live very long.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:13 »
Like GA says it depends on the weather / time of year.
I only do it in late spring / summer so tempretures are better.
I start them on full heat 24/7 indoors and then by about day 10 they go in a larger brooder in the garage. The garage gets quite warm in the summer and has windows so they get daylight and heat, they are still on full heat though
I gradually adjust the heat a little each day. then no heat during the day but at night times.

Doing it this time of year you would have to see how they are behaving before turning the heat down. If they are close to the heat huddled together they are still too cold but if they are giving the heat source a wide berth then you can turn it down a little. You can only really judge for yourself when its ready to turn the heat down a little. One persons house maybe much warmer than others. I wouldnt rush into it just because someone else says a week

i use a plug in dimmer switch to reduce the heat or increase it again if need be. I just find it a little more convenient that raising and lowering the heat lamp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dimmer-Socket-Switch-Light-Table-Lamp-Mains-Plug-in-Free-first-class-Delivery-/160836088678?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item257293f366

I only do a few chicks though so its suits me to do it this way. 300 would have me running for the hills  :lol:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:16 »
Thanks for the link splash101, I have just ordered 2.

My 2 Welsummer chicks are 25 days old and I have put them in a rabbit hutch in the sun.  They are really enjoying a bit of fresh air and sunshine.  It is registering 75 degrees and they seem really happy with that temperature.  Will put them back in the brooder with heat lamp in the shed as soon as the sun in not shining on them.

My little quail Miracolo 26 days old is keeping me company in the house at the moment.  I am wanting him to be hand tame so he is spending time getting used to me and the radio.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:24 »
it is nice and warm in the sunshine (long may it last)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 12:44 »
Thanks Splash, I forgot to say the temperature should be lower by approximately 2 degrees each weekuntil you turn the heat off during the day.

The dimmer switches are a good idea, but if you ever get the ceramic heat bulbs rather than the infra red, you shouldn't use these with a dimmer switch.

We had ceramic bulbs as well as infra red at varying times to try them out, but didn't need them once we bought the gas brooders.

300 chicks is really no different to having 6, they just eat and drink more and make more poo and noise!   :lol: :lol:

Pic only shows about 150!  All behind me now though! :)
DSCF0009 (8).JPG
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 12:45 by GrannieAnnie »

Craigx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 15:25 »
hello

please dont think im rushing into taking the heat away, i keep mine in heat for a while  (during 4 to 5 weeks then into a rabbit cage during the day, then indoors at night for a week then in the bigger hutch in the hen coop where they stay untill big enough to go with the others) my method works for me n very successful,

only asked as the guy i spoke to said he does a week with light then thats it...

Craig

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 16:26 »
I would think that they would freeze to death at this time of the year.  My broodies chicks are always more hardy but they do have the option of the feather duvet of Mum if they want it.   :lol:

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 20:45 »
Ours have only just gone outdoors today and still have the brooder for heat (although we just checked on them and neither are under it! I will turn it off a little earlier each day (it's on a timer) until they don't need it. It's cold out there though and I feel a bit mean but I guess they are the ones with the nice thick feathers!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

xx
How long should the heat lamp be on??

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 09:41
by Vember
xx
So how much longer under heat??

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 21, 2009, 18:37
by Chookiechook
xx
Chicks off heat

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 11:28
by ANHBUC
xx
when to take chicks off heat?

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 21:39
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 35 queries.