Three dead chooks - deep clean of coop and run?

• 5 Replies

Bruced

• Experienced Member
Three dead chooks - deep clean of coop and run?
« on: October 06, 2012, 15:29 »
Hi all,  I wonder if anyone can advise on a deep clean for coop and run.

A little background first. We've had five quite happy chooks for a while in a 12' x 25' run. Under trees so tends to get sun first thing through midday or so and be mostly shady after that. A couple of weeks ago, one of the RIRs got sick and died very quickly - no obvious symptoms, just got a little lethargic, comb paled up and died a couple of days later. Thinking it was just one of those things, we got an extra four to take us up to eight - still loads of run space but probably max for current perch space.

One of the new arrivals (14 or so week old Plymouth Rock) sounded a little odd when we got her home  - breathing kind of bubbly. That turned quickly into sneezing; the farm from which we bought her send antibiotics but she succumbed before they arrived. In between getting the new ones and the PR dying, the other RIR developed an eye infection which looks really nasty. I have her in am aubiose-lined box in the garage with some food and antibiotic-laced water after having cleaned the eye with black tea and applied a little sudocreme.

The PR and the eye infection alone I would have put down to coincidence but three in two weeks has me worrying that we have a deeper problem. The coop floor is 4" or so aubiose, which is poo-picked daily, Poultry-Shielded weekly or bi-weekly and completely changed every month or so depending on weather. The wider run is not poo-picked as we always figured there was plenty of run space.

Now I want to make sure we give everything a really good clean to stop anything in its tracks before we restock, so any tips for (1) coop and (2) run (currently soil only) for a deep clean and better ongoing maintenance?

Sorry to go on, and many thanks in advance for any advice.

BD

grinling

Re: Three dead chooks - deep clean of coop and run?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 20:11 »
I would wait a few weeks to make sure there isn't anything contagious from the ones you just added. Quarantine in a separate area any new ones you buy.
I dig over my run from time to time as poo can cause a crust on the surface.
I use jeyes when disinfecting, but need good weather and make sure it is completely dry before allowing chooks back in.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 21:12 »
I would go and see a vet - the eye infection and the bubbly breathing could be the symptoms of a respiratory infection which can be very infectious. You will need to get a broad spectrum anti biotic such a tylan or aureomycin and treat the whole flock.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:09 »
Thanks all. I'l refrain from adding new ones for the mo and deep-clean. Chooks already are on a 5 day course of antibiotics so I'll monitor closely.

@Grinling - when you dig over, do you dig anything into dirt? Our soil here (Coventry) is pretty heavy and wondering if sand might improve things.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 23:25 »
Soil here gorgeous, so dig over. The crusty top I stick in compost bin.
When I lived down south I had clay, so would dig down and turn breaking it up. It was best done after it rained as the run was under trees at back of allotment.
My current outer run as been grassed and some of the spinach plants moved there and will last 2 hours if I'm lucky when I go on holiday, but they will have the garden as well.
 I do sometimes use bamboo canes and chicken wire to make an area in the garden, to leave the rest chook poo free.
The housing run has a roof and 3/4 covered walls, this stays mainly dry and they dust bath under the house.
Try hoeing the ground weekly or fortnightly.

xx
What should I use to deep clean inside hen house

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 15:24
by grumpydad
xx
clean coop

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 21:22
by dizzylizzie
xx
Clean Coop

Started by Cal_Leghorn on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 22:01
by swedishchicken
xx
How often and how do you clean out the coop?

Started by chick with chicks on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 11:32
by chick with chicks

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 35 queries.