Problems with keeping Chickens on an allotment (law)

• 30 Replies

val3147

« on: November 20, 2007, 19:50 »
Hi,  

I took my allotment on thinking that I could keep chickens as well as growing veg. I have been told by the allotment secretary that the council will not allow me to keep animals.

Has anyone else come across this and can I get round it?

Tah
Val

mashauk

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 20:26 »
Mine won't allow it either, and it's a private site, probably just as well though as there's loads of foxes and cats around!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 20:28 »
The department of communities and local government have produced a plot holders guide available in pdf format available here this mentions the type of animals you are allowed to keep on Lotties, but and however  :roll:  all depends on who owns your plot and what their terms are, you have probably more chance IMHO with council run plot, than a private one but you could be in for an uphill struggle.

Can you keep them at home ? do you have a garden big enough etc ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 20:42 »
hi val and welcome to the forum.

Richy is right, most allotment sites have their own rules depending on what was handed down through the generations which means that no two sites may have the same rights or rules.  :?

Could you update your profile info with your location... perhaps we could suggest another site nearby which allows chooks on site  :D

gobs

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 20:46 »
True, this is decided on local level. If you are council run, not much else you can do, than suggested home keeping or other site.

If you are self governed, however, you might want to bring this up at the next AGM and suggest a change of rules. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 23:49 »
I had a battle over this - the trick is to approach the councillors and prospective candidates and point out the government position. Sometimes they deny permission because there is no positive permission.

I wrote to every councillor involved in detail as well. Never did have to move to phase 2, the press
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

val3147

Chickens on allotment (Law)
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 12:15 »
Hi,

Thanks to every one for their input. There are two allotments sites on the Wirral (where I live) but the waiting list is about 14 years! I am a senior citizen so not much chance.

I will go down the writing to everyone in a position to influence the council route and see how I go.

Thanks again

Val

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:40 »
I have often wondered how easy it is to care for your chickens on a lotty?

After allyou have to go there every single day twice - to collect eggs feed em let em out shut em in etc, they are quiet clean and easy to keep in a garden if you have space at all and perhaps you could just do what I think someone else on here does and take em with you on occasional days with a sort of playpen so they can have a good grub about and eat the bugs for you then bring em home again.  

I would be suprised if the council would be able to do much about that after all you could just say chickens ?? what chickens??? or just hold your hands up and say they are just visiting to help with bug removing if you dont approve I will not bring em again.  The play pen could even have solid sides so no one need even know they were there.

I like the idea of secret chicken bug removal you could give em blaclavas and .... ok ok Im getting carried away again!!!
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

val3147

Chickens the allotment and the law
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 13:16 »
Hi,

Well I have been digging around (pardon the pun) on the internet and have found bits of information that may help me and others keep chickens (from now on they are to be referred to as hens)

The site is www.ruleworks.co.uk/poultry/allotments

Hens on Allotments in the UK
Hens are allowed on all council owned allotments in England and Wales. For Scottish legislation please click here.

The Allotment Act 1950 includes the allowance of certain forms of livestock (hens and rabbits) to be kept although this can be, in some cases, restricted by local by-laws.

A council may have local rules to specify that no livestock or hens are allowed. However, these local regulations must adhere to the Allotment Act(s) and those regulations that do not comply are not in force until confirmed by a local by-law.

Cockerels are not allowed by the Allotment Act.

That is my next challenge -  to find (or hopefully not) find the by-law. Any ideas where to start?

Val

gobs

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 14:36 »
John might be your man, Val, I've never found any, kinda makes me wonder... :?  :wink:

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 21:56 »
i have kept/keep chickens on both council and (currently) private allotments.  did get some resistance from council run one but ask about by-laws and to see it in writing, and they run a mile because most of the people who run them don't have a clue - i've challenged them, believe me.

sadly though, I did have to remove my birds (through choice not forced)from council site because of kids breaking in an nicking some birds and equipment.  really annoyed me but led to me finding a private site, which is great by the way.  the guy that owns them loves livestock being on there and so I have both hens and cockerels.  i currently have a whole plot fenced for my birds and am in the middle of completing a second for ex-bats in january.  i do have 3 plots there, so using one for veg in summer.

other people on the allotment are fascinated with chickens and feed them (greens) etc.  many want manure and ask to buy eggs.  productive all round!  my friends also keep geese/chooks there and another bloke horses.

as for the everyday commitment, of course you do, whatever the weather.  all part of caring for your stock!  i remember being there Christmas day lasy year and it was so peaceful.  mind you, i'm lucky because i have to pass my site on the way to and from work, so very convenient.

my uncle keeps his birds on a managed council site and they have a limit of 8 birds maximum.  this was enforced because of past neglect by other tennants overstocking.

I live in a built up area so don't let the break in thing put you off, it happens a lot round here by me. but be prepared wherever you live!  good luck!

deannatrois

Re: Problems with keeping Chickens on an allotment (law)
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 21:13 »
I live in Wolverhampton and have an allotment.  I've only had the allotment a week but have written an opening gambit mail to the council asking if u are allowed to keep hens on an allotment and if not why not given the existence of the 1950 Allotment Act. The other allotment holders tell me u can't on this site.

pairofacres

• Experienced Member
Re: Chickens the allotment and the law
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 21:45 »
That is my next challenge -  to find (or hopefully not) find the by-law. Any ideas where to start?

I'd assume this would be covered by the Freedom of Information Act. If so, you should be able to write to the council making a formal FoI request for a copy of the relevant by-law. You run the risk of bringing the by-law (or its absence) to their attention in doing so, but you'll probably struggle to obtain a copy otherwise.

deannatrois

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 22:31 »
Thanks for that information.  I'll await their reply and act on your suggestion.  If I can figure out how to keep hens safe from two legged and four legged predators. I've just read the thread about fox attacks.

DensHens

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 14:56 »
Hi Val3147,
                  Before I started to keep my Chickens ( at home ) I wanted to find out if there was a ByLaw to stop me, after several phone calls to our local council office no one could tell me if one was in force.
                  My last call was to the Enviromental Health Dept who stated no ByLaw was in place to prevent Chicken Keeping, and drew attention to the Animal welfare act, Noise and the prevention of vermin, all well worth looking up!
                 I have now had my Girls 3 months and its one of the best things I have done, lots of fun and the freshest of eggs.
                  Good luck with your allotment site, if no ByLaw is in force I think you should be OK.

xx
the problems newbies encounter with keeping chickens

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 22, 2006, 00:05
by Tensing
xx
Know your rights . allotment act 1950 keeping chickens

Started by chicken henry on The Hen House

45 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 21:33
by Jason1971
xx
Keeping Chickens

Started by Lilac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 19:53
by SnooziSuzi
xx
how do i go about keeping chickens?

Started by drmoonshine on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 23:29
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 53 queries.