bald breast

• 3 Replies

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
bald breast
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:41 »
Noticed when powdering my girls with DE that one of them is completely bald on her lower breast, kind of between her legs.  Had a job on keeping her still, but noticed that there looks to be one or two "stalks", blue colour that i presume are new feathers growing from the outside of the bald area.  She certainly isnt displaying signs of being broody, and i dont think i have a bug problem, as there's nothing amiss with the other 5 girls.  She started laying end of April, so could it be that she is moulting - have been putting poultry spice in food, ACV in water etc.
She seems okay in herself...any ideas would be most appreciated thanks.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: bald breast
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:47 »
Sounds like a partial molt so nothing to worry about.  You have checked for everything else so it is a matter of waiting for her new feathers which sound as if they are coming through. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 13:08 »
Thankyou - it was quite a shock when i turned her over, and all i could see was pink skin!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 13:35 »
I have one the same and also a Black Rock with a bald bottom since molting in the Spring.  Either she or one of the others is pecking her new feathers before they get chance to grow.  I have tried purple spray and also zinc and castor cream but neither made any difference.  Talking to other hen owners this seems to be a common thing. 

The only other thing I thought of trying was a sports bandage to cover her while they regrow.  The thought of trying to wrap her up leaving her vent uncovered so she can still poo has stopped me trying this.  I might pluck up the courage (pardon the pun!) to giving it a go if her bottom is still baldy for the autumn.  ::) :lol:

xx
Bald Breast - really quite worried now!

Started by HENrietta on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 13:28
by Debz
xx
Abnormal breast

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 17:26
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Breast bone

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 22:59
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Bold breast!

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 08:28
by Sassy

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 34 queries.