Bullying .............. Why?

• 6 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Bullying .............. Why?
« on: May 28, 2012, 15:11 »
Its almost a year now since I introduced my Sussex and Speckeldy to my 2 existing ISA Browns. It was a rocky road for a few weeks, and the girls have since got on well. Speckeldy has a penchant for broodiness (1st one early Dec, no.2 late March and No.3 currently!!!!), and has always been bottom of the pecking order. Sussex is the biggest chicken of the 4, and 2nd from bottom. She is never agressive or never seems to attempt to pinch food etc.

About a week ago I noticed she was very badly pecked in the middle of her back, and on one wing - she looked very oven ready! The 2 brown girls were being nasty, and I can find no reason for it. She has become quite timid, and retreats to the house as soon as they turn and look at her. I got the purple spray out, but that didnt seem to help, and on Thursday I bought some anti-peck (god, what a smell!) - they still seem to pounce on her given a decent chance. She isnt looking quite as 'raw' but she is very jumpy, and is still running back upstairs at the mere-ist of looks! What else can I do to help?

I cant move both the brown girls, I dont think that would hep, and I sat watching them yesterday for quite a while, and its both of them together.

Any words of wisdom for me? Poor Sussex looks a state with hints of purple, and lots of brown from the the anti-peck!

Dopey113

Re: Bullying .............. Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 16:25 »
Sometimes animals of many types, will attack the sick, its just natures way, she may seem and look healthy, but they just know by the smell or the look (like mothers abandoning there young)
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 16:47 »
If she is healthy and the spray doesn't work then you could fit beak clips to the bullies. This will still allow them to eat but not grab hold of her feather.
They could be picking on her because she is a different colour.
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 17:22 »
I have 3 Pecky joined the other 2 last year. Poppy, my bantam, put her in the pecking order. Girls fine up to last 2 weeks. Pecky has been picking on Poppy, so pick Pecky up and given stern talking to as I am "the cockerel".
Big event was Poppy came into lay again, taken a year but at 5-6 years old not surprising. Poppy is a broody hen and I have had about 10 eggs so far so she might be going into brood mode shortly. Might be causing upset.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 18:14 »
She is laying, her comb is lovely and bright, apart from being a bit bare and now being a scaredy cat, she looks as she always has done.

She does come and down, and is eating and drinking, but legs it as soon as they turn her way!!!

grinling

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 17:55 »
Do you pick them all up and cuddle? It would put you as top hen, but it can take a few weeks for a new pecking order.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 19:52 »
I would love to, but my set up isnt walk in (unless you are 4!) and they are unable to free range due to A LOT of foxes one side and a dual carriageway the other! They have lots of space though, and can flap about etc. They have been so happy for a year nearly all together.

I have separated Top Chicken, and already things are calmer, and Pauline has been down a lot more in the last 45 minutes than all the rest of the day - bless her she is still jumpy though, and the other brown girl has had one go, but nowhere near as brutal when they were both at it together.

I am going to put Top Hen in another run and house next to them (its not great long term but ok for a week or two) Any ideas who long to keep her isolated for???

I think the summer might be holding a big building project!

sad
bullying

Started by shez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2010, 12:34
by too many girls
xx
Bullying

Started by rileyslab on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 31, 2014, 14:14
by snow white
question
bullying

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 12:53
by joyfull
question
Hen bullying?

Started by BlackRockLovers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 16:44
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.