Coughing/sneezing chicken

• 9 Replies

mum23kids

Coughing/sneezing chicken
« on: May 14, 2012, 23:14 »
Hello all!

Have had the 4 girls for 10 weeks now and am getting 3 - 4 eggs every day. I am totally smitten. They are all very happy and busy and perky and I wonder why I've waited so long.

But, our lovely goldline has had a cough/sneeze for the last 3-4 weeks and whatever I do I cannot shift it. When she started I took her straight to the vet who prescribed her an antibiotic that I put in their water (Tylan? or something similar). It treated them all (there was no egg withdrawal period). Didn't budge the cough/sneeze.

Left it a while as frankly thought the wet weather was enough to make anyone sniff. tried garlic in the water, they normally have ACV, they are wormed each month with verm-ex...

Then decided to try something else so rang the man I got them from who suggested colloidal silver. This I sprayed into her mouth twice a day for 5 days. Nothing changed.

So it has been 3-4 weeks, she is a happy, busy and eating, pooping and laying chook who sneezes non-stop. The others are all fine. Any ideas? Could she be allergic to something? They have straw in the nest boxes which I change each week, more if it gets wet and I used diatom (sparingly so not too dusty).

Anything else I could try? Will she just sneeze her whole life through? It isn't worse at any particular time of day. Anyone have any experience of anything similar?

Yours hopefully,

E
x

mum23kids

Re: Coughing/sneezing chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 23:16 »
Forgot to say they were all fully immunised up to 15 weeks when I got them.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 06:00 »
Hi has she got bubbly fluid coming from her eyes ?
Chicken crazy

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50 »
Does she have any other signs of respiratory infection? (bubbles forming at the eye, wheezing or rattley breath sounds?)

Some hens can be sensitive to dust, so if you use shavings in the coop, you might have to change to another bedding, or other brand of shavings (look specifically for "dust extracted" bedding)

mum23kids

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:11 »
Hi - no other symptoms at all - no bubbling, eyes are fine, no discharge. She is in fact really perky and is top girl in the pecking order despite the sneeze!

Only use straw as bedding, not dusty either... really a bit at a loss...

E
x

mum23kids

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:15 »
I would say though. that she has a "husky" cluck...

kegs

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 13:08 »
Rather than Verm-Ex I'd use Flubenvet or Marriages with it already added.  If it's worms or gapeworm then the Flubenvet will help.

mum23kids

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 16:27 »
Thanks Kegs, I'll give it a try, but would it be worms if only one chicken has been affected for the ;ast 4 weeks?

bramford

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 13:07 »
Hi it seems there is a lot of this about one of mine is doing the same also next door have one the same, I am just keeping a close eye on her.
Sorry can't help anymore but if anything changes I will let you know 

mum23kids

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 17:45 »
Thanks Bramford!

I moved mine today into a sunnier patch (with grass!) to see if it helped. Will let you know too!

E
x

xx
Chicken coughing or sneezing

Started by Nails on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 20:58
by Nails
xx
Chicken sneezing/coughing. Closing eyes and tilting head up. Slight weight loss?

Started by Ribbit on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 16:27
by Ribbit
xx
coughing or sneezing....help..

Started by sarah* on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2006, 23:28
by Rural Living
xx
coughing or sneezing

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 21:59
by VickyW

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 36 queries.