will cold fertile eggs work, I flaming left them outside :(

• 6 Replies

rosie14

OH NO!! I have today picked up 1/2 dozen fertile Pekins eggs and 1/2 dozen pot luck should be fertilised from a friend who has an abundance of fertile eggs in her pantry.

This is great but I was so busy getting my broody foster mums' coop ready/children to bed etc I left the eggs outside on top. I have just now at 9.30 pm moved mum and set the 12 eggs under her but they were  fridge cold  :( it's 10 or 11 degrees out there tonight supposedly.

I just can't believe after all this effort for the poor thing I may have screwed it all up giving her cold eggs that will fail. What are your honest thoughts please? thanks  :wub:

Spana

Re: will cold fertile eggs work, I flaming left them outside :(
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 21:56 »
I think they will be fine.

On several occasions when i've been setting a broody and only had a few special eggs i've taken eggs from the fridge to make up a clutch and they have always hatched.

One time i had  six lovely brown eggs from one of our hens that i was saving for my sister.  Unfortunately  the hen died so i took the eggs from the fridge where they had been for at least a week, brought them up to room temp and put them under a broody and the whole lot hatched, so i don't think you need worry to much.

rosie14

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 22:00 »
Thankyou Spana you have made my waiting easier :) I took them out of my southfacing kitchen (so warm) at tea time 5pm ish before I began cooking then put them under her at 9.30pm so not left for hours and hours and hours or days! Phew!

Lastcast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 22:03 »
hi Rosie14,   I should imagine they'll be fine, most birds lay one egg a day and will not start incubating until they have a full clutch, so once the egg is laid it's left until the next egg laid the following day. I don't think you've done any harm.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:38 »
Hi should be ok i buy fertile eggs of e-bay and they are sent through the post they all come cold and i still have a good hatch rate  :D
Chicken crazy

Spana

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 09:20 »
Thankyou Spana you have made my waiting easier :) I took them out of my southfacing kitchen (so warm) at tea time 5pm ish before I began cooking then put them under her at 9.30pm so not left for hours and hours and hours or days! Phew!

I hope they all hatch for you, if they dont i wouldn't put it down to leaving them outside for a couple of hours.
I like Pekins, do you know the colour? :)

rosie14

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 19:40 »
sounds hopefull then, good stuff! :)

I didn't really want Pekins because of their feathery feet and we can suffer at ours in very wet weather. But once I saw them I really really wanted them, they are just adorable and so very pretty. I am really hoping to get a few Pekin hens out of this lot. If nothing hatches apart from 1 or 2 Pekins I'd still be made up lol! The other 1/2 dozen are light Sussex, hybrid and Copper Maran mix that are running with an Indian Game cockerel who was also stunning.

The Pekin Cock was predominently black with a mix of honey coloured? feathers especially through the tail from what I can remember, the 2 hens although beautiful I really cannot remember their colourings at all now!

xx
fertile eggs

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 09:56
by sussexchook
xx
fertile eggs

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 11:43
by joyfull
xx
fertile eggs

Started by phil-c on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 10, 2010, 16:45
by Chookiechook
xx
fertile eggs

Started by martinsmith1953 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 16, 2011, 16:26
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 34 queries.